Macs on non-native power (77)

Fri, 20 Jan 89 23:17:03 EST

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 517. Friday, 20 Jan 1989.

(1) Date: Fri, 20 Jan 89 07:03:20 LCL (23 lines)
From: "Dana Cartwright, Syracuse Univ, 315-443-4504" <DECARTWR@SUVM>
Subject: Mac's on Foreign (to us) Power

(2) Date: Fri, 20 Jan 89 09:26:33 MST (16 lines)
From: Jude Wang <AOJXW@ASUACAD>
Subject: Re: a Mac in Cambridge

(3) Date: Fri, 20 Jan 89 18:25:19 GMT (13 lines)
From: "Michael E. Walsh" <WALSH@IRLEARN>
Subject: Re: Macs in the UK (25)

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 89 07:03:20 LCL
From: "Dana Cartwright, Syracuse Univ, 315-443-4504" <DECARTWR@SUVM>

My Mac-II has a sticker over the power cord which says "Input voltage range
is self-setting from 100-240 V." This suggests it would be fairly easy
to use in Europe and the U. K. A recently-purchased SE here bears the same
sticker. Our venerable office Mac Pluses state flatly "120 VAC," suggesting
less flexibility.

There is a strong trend in the computing business towards "switching" power
supplies, which take their electrical input and literally chop it up into
very small samples, thus in a sense just "biting off" as much power as they
need. Such power supplies are very efficient and light-weight, and they
will accept just about anything by way of input (any frequency will do,
and the voltage can vary over an order of magnitude). Manufactures use
such supplies for many reasons, among them being that it makes marketing
to a global audience just that much easier. People traveling between the
States and other countries will appreciate this bit of engineering
prowess.

However, rather than gathering opinions from us rather unqualified users,
how about a call to Apple?