Announcements (155)

Sun, 22 Jan 89 17:47:09 EST

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 520. Sunday, 22 Jan 1989.

(1) Date: 21 January 1989 (34 lines)
From: Jeutonne P. Brewer (BREWERJ@UNCG)
Subject: Call for papers/MLA

(2) Date: Fri, 20 Jan 89 09:55 EST (48 lines)
From: <PEEBLES@IUBACS.BITNET>
Subject: Help with Journal of Quantitative Anthropology

(3) Date: Sun, 22 Jan 89 15:11:32 CST (50 lines)
From: Mark Olsen <mark@gide.uchicago.edu>
Subject: ARTFL Project -- shameless advertisement

Date: 21 January 1989
From: Jeutonne P. Brewer (BREWERJ@UNCG)

The Language and Society Division of the MLA organizes three
sessions. I would like to invite members of HUMANIST to submit
abstracts.

CALL FOR PAPERS

LANGUAGE AND SOCIETY DIVISION

MODERN LANGUAGE ASSOCIATION

27-30 December 1989
Washington, D.C.

1989 Theme:
Language in Public Life

Possible topics include: Language in the Professions, Influences of Technology,
Language Planning and Language Policy, Relationship of Academe to Language
Policy, Language in the Classroom, Language of Ethnic Conflict, Language of
Public Discourse

200-Word Abstracts due: March 15, 1989

Jeutonne P. Brewer
Department of English
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27412
Bitnet Address: BREWERJ@UNCG

(Please note: All participants must be a member of the MLA by April 1.)
(2) --------------------------------------------------------------56----
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 89 09:55 EST
From: <PEEBLES@IUBACS.BITNET>

REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE

BOOK, SOFTWARE, AND HARDWARE REVIEWS FOR

JOURNAL OF QUANTITATIVE ANTHROPOLOGY

The first issue of the "Journal of Quantitative Anthropology will
be published this month by Kluwer Academic Publishers. As
Reviews Editor for that journal, I hope to use this conference as
a means of soliciting help and advice about the conduct of my
office. There are five distinct areas where I ask assistance:
1) Titles of books that ought to be reviewed.
2) Software that ought to be reviewed.
3) Individuals who might be asked to do particular
hardware, software, and book reviews.
4) Departments that might be interested in reviewing
MAJOR software packages (SYSTAT, SPSSX, SAS, etc.).
I envision a multiple author reviews that would
narrate the course of installation, learning, and use
of the package by members of an anthropology
department on their departmental PCs. In turn,
the department would get a legal, "free" copy of a
significant piece of software.
5) Information about Bulletin Boards and other
Conferences on BITNET, USENET, etc. that should be
of interest to anthropologists. I would like to
put together a brief description of these conferences
and lists for publication in "QA."

Please direct responses to any one of the e-mail addresses listed
below.

Cheers,

Chris Peebles

[HEPnet : IND::BLACK::PEEBLES | C.S. Peebles ]
[ARPA : peebles@silver.bacs.indiana.edu | Glenn A. Black Lab ]
[ARPA : peebles@gold.bacs.indiana.edu | 9th and Fess Streets ]
[UUCP : {pur-ee,rutgers,pyramid,ihnp4}!silver!peebles | Bloomington, IN 47405]
[BITNET : PEEBLES@IUBACS | (812) 855-9544 ]