Report on the Oxford Text Archive (37)

Fri, 10 Feb 89 22:39:15 EST

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 585. Friday, 10 Feb 1989.

Date: Fri, 10 Feb 89 12:44 GMT
From: Lou Burnard <LOU@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK>
Subject: Text Archive Report - part 1

At the request of a fellow Humanist, I am posting the following
interesting text, presented at an informal gathering here at OUCS this
morning by Judith Proud, as the first stage of her long-awaited Report
on the Oxford Text Archive.
Lou Burnard, private TeX, had to think of something fast. The Boolean
operators were coming to get him. They were logical operators, and if they
got their hands on his cluster, there'd be no Basis left for negotiation.
He thought of Janet, and his steely gaze softened momentarily -- maybe
she wasn't Word Perfect, but at least she was there Write Now.
The door of the Pad swung open and a rasping voice with a slight Lisp
could be heard from the hallway.
"You ain't got a Snobol's chance in hell, Burnard. When Vi and the Crays
hear about your dossing around with Eva and Ada the Sun ain't gonna shine
for you no more, you'll be eating WORMS. This is just the Prolog CHum --
when we get our hands on your front end, you'll be hitting high 'C'. Get
wise quick PAL if you don't wanna end up one of them Unix. And remember --
you ain't got the Ghost of a chance."
Just then, he got an idea, -- it was a Simpleplot, but it might just
work ...
A summary of the rest of Judith's Report will be posted next week, when
the full report will be submitted to the British Library.