database management systems, cont. (40)

Mon, 13 Feb 89 20:01:22 EST

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 600. Monday, 13 Feb 1989.

Date: Mon, 13 Feb 89 08:53 EST
From: <WADE@CRNLGSM>
Subject: we use VAX Rdb, dBase III+, Oracle

Re databases in use:

We work primarily on the VAX here and have large databases in either
pure RMS (indexed) format for use from home-brew fortran (for 1Million +
record stock transaction files), or VAX Rdb (accessed via Basic, pascal,
Rally, Teamdata, or Datatrieve) for daily administrative files (records
for 20,000 people's addresses, gift records, calendar system, etc.)

We've been a "beta" field-test site for VAX Rally for the last year
and like the product a lot (See article on our use of Rally in
Digital Review, Feb 6, 1989, page 87.) We are (sigh...) a reference
site for Rdb/Rally, so I'll be glad (with some delay) to answer
questions re VAXen, distributed databases, etc. (I taught a course here
in Database Management.)

We have also just started developent of Hypercard courseware and
I'm have very strong demand for hypercard front-ends to (particularly)
the fortran databases, so that's next on our agenda.

(I don't personally maintain ANY large text or bibliographic
databases.)

Wade Schuette, Database Administrator,
Johnson Graduate School of Management
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-4201
(607) 255-6300