scanners, cont. (25)

Tue, 14 Feb 89 20:26:43 EST

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 605. Tuesday, 14 Feb 1989.

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 89 10:05:46 EST
From: elli@harvunxw.BITNET (Elli Mylonas)
Subject: OCR's

I have seen Omnipage in action, and it is impressive. It as able to scan
6 pages of a magazine article with very few errors. It is not, however,
a low-end system--except in comparison to a Kurzweil, perhaps. It
requires 4 or 5 Mb of memory, and is itself not inexpensive.
I also do not think that it is trainable, so although it has a built in
capacity for many Roman character sets, that's it.
I hear that there are some European OCR applications for the Mac,
which are trainable, require less memory, and cost less than Omnipage.
I think one of them is Spanish, and it is being marketed by a Canadian
company. Does anyone have more specific information?
For the present, however, Omnipage is impressive. Maybe the Brown
people, who have access to the system, can send in some more specifics?