of mice and e-mail (61)

Thu, 16 Feb 89 18:49:22 EST

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 619. Thursday, 16 Feb 1989.

(1) Date: Thu, 16 Feb 89 10:42:52 EST (28 lines)
From: Geoff Rockwell <rockwell@utorgpu>
Subject: Mice

(2) Date: 14 February 89, 12:00:15 SET (13 lines)
From: Marc Eisinger +33 (1) 40 01 51 20 EISINGER at FRIBM11
Subject: e-mail

Date: Thu, 16 Feb 89 10:42:52 EST
From: Geoff Rockwell <rockwell@utorgpu>

The following is the conclusion of "Evaluation of Mouse, Rate-
Controlled Isometric Joystick, Step Keys, and Text Keys for Text
Selection on a CRT" (found in "Readings in Human-Computer Interaction"
pages 386-392)

>Of the four devices tested the mouse is clearly the superior device
>for text selection on a CRT:

In the tests that led to this conclusion, each subject

>struck the space of the keyboard with his right hand, then, with
>the the same hand reached for the pointing device and directed the
>cursor to the target. The cursor thus positioned, the subject
>pressed a button 'selecting' the target as he would were he using
>the device in a text editor.

The interesting thing is that mice apparently become difficult when
selecting small targets (like periods in Geneva 9 point.) This study
did not address the aggravation of those who do not like mice and
are consequently slowed down by their irritation.

Yours Geoffrey Rockwell
rockwell@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca
(2) --------------------------------------------------------------16----
Date: 14 February 89, 12:00:15 SET
From: Marc Eisinger +33 (1) 40 01 51 20 EISINGER at FRIBM11

> throw away your IBM mainframe and buy a real computer
> sebastian rahtz, computer science, southampton

At last some fresh air on Humanist !
Exactly what my younger son said to his elder brother : my toy
is nicer that yours.

P.S. By the way, VM users (there's still some) can use a
so-called CROSSNET EXEC to go to over 100 networks with
any kind of addressing pattern.