Umbrian, cont. (27)

Sun, 26 Feb 89 23:57:43 EST

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 653. Sunday, 26 Feb 1989.

Date: Sun, 26 Feb 89 16:59:24 EST
From: cbf%faulhaber.Berkeley.EDU@jade.berkeley.edu (Charles Faulhaber)
Subject: Re: Umbrian meditations (259)

Mr. Blankenship has also been in touch with me
requesting me to place the same message on
Humanist. My own view was that it needed
a little bit more scholarly context to be
intellible. What he calls the "Fellum Elogium"
is Umbrian Stele, no. 366, discussed by A.J.
Pfiffig, in Studi Etreschi, XXIX, 111-54, XXX,
355-57.

Mr. Blankenship's contention is that what has
traditionally been called Etruscan is really
an Italic language which can be deciphered using
standard cryptological techniques and positing
the values of Plautine Latin.