secular studies of Islam? colleague in Taiwan? (46)

Sun, 26 Feb 89 23:59:39 EST

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 654. Sunday, 26 Feb 1989.

(1) Date: Sun, 26 Feb 89 13:44 EDT (18 lines)
From: <S_RICHMOND@UTOROISE>
Subject: STUDENTS OF ISLAMIC CULTURE

(2) Date: Sun, 26 Feb 89 13:50:48 EST (8 lines)
From: Stephen Clausing <SCLAUS@YALEVM>
Subject: Colleague search in Taiwan

Date: Sun, 26 Feb 89 13:44 EDT
From: <S_RICHMOND@UTOROISE>

Are there any scholars/students of Islamic Culture who
can recommend some books about the Koran and Islamic
Culture (from a secular, historical, critical viewpoint)?

I am interested in something akin to the secular studies
of the Bible in the tradition of Spinoza, Welhausen, & Freud.
For instance, is there a book on the Koran akin to the
recent book by Richard Elliot Friedman
"Who Wrote the Bible?"

Thank you.

Sheldon Richmond S_RICHMOND@UTOROISE.BITNET