reading list? archives? e-folklore? (159)

Thu, 2 Mar 89 20:11:18 EST

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 669. Thursday, 2 Mar 1989.

(1) Date: Wed, 1 Mar 89 20:55:14 PST (43 lines)
From: Alan Rudrum <USERANTH@SFU.BITNET>
Subject: reading lists? (30)

(2) Date: Wednesday, 1 March 1989 2332-EST (44 lines)
From: KRAFT@PENNDRLS
Subject: Request for Lists of "Archives"

(3) Date: Thu, 2 Mar 89 11:42 PST (47 lines)
From: Sterling Bjorndahl - Claremont Graduate School
Subject: electronic folklore?

Date: Wed, 1 Mar 89 20:55:14 PST
From: Alan Rudrum <USERANTH@SFU.BITNET>

Like Beth Jones, I am looking for a reading list; this is for a course
to be given in our Humanities Institute; and essentially I need help
because I have bitten off more than I can chew! The course proposed is
to be called "Dominion over all the earth" with subtitle as yet un-
decided but something like "Anthropocentrism and environmental crisis."
If I give the main part of the tentative course description, and add
that this is a thirteen-week course, the problem should become clear.
"The course has two principal aims: an understanding of the way in which
human beings have, through history, thought about the natural world and
their relation to it; and an understanding of the present geo-political
context in which major environmental decisions are made......In the
historical part of the course we shall look at Western thought, beginning
with Plato, biblical understanding, drawing upon both the Hebrew and the
Christian Scriptures; the seventeenth century debate on the relationship
between humans and the creatures; and literary expression, principally
but not exclusively drawing upon literature in English, for example
Milton, Vaughan, Traherne, Blake, Wordsworth and Coleridge....After the
historical survey we shall examine current scientific understanding
and current political action and inaction." At the present stage
of planning (bewilderment) I envisage each student writing two papers,
one of which will be concerned with twentieth century issues. It
seems clear that the list of recommended works, and works available
on library reserve, should be long, while the list of compulsory
readings should be comparatively short. So far I have got to
the Timaeus and the Bible as set texts; am wondering about St. Francis;
wondering about how to make an anthology of the relevant passages from
the poets mentioned without violating copyright (a lot of local paranoia
about that). Of course I know of, without yet having read, a fair amount
of the relevant secondary work; but I shall be grateful to anyone who
would like to imagine what can reasonably be done in thirteen weeks, and
who has ideas about what are the indispensable primary texts. Porphyry
on abstaining from animal food; Bacon (and if so which bits?);
I shall run on no longer but just repeat that I shall be grateful to
hear from any interested person. If Stephen Clark is listening,
he partly got me into this; but mostly it was Henry Vaughan, and
while he can still be helpful, he's not in a position to make the
suggestions I need. Alan Rudrum, English Department, Simon Fraser
University, Burnaby, B.C. Canada V5A 1S6 (useranth@sfu.bitnet).