various responses (160)

Tue, 14 Mar 89 20:01:49 EST

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 722. Tuesday, 14 Mar 1989.

(1) Date: Tue, 14 Mar 89 06:32 CST (15 lines)
From: Robin Smith <RSMITH@KSUVM>
Subject: Terminal emulators

(2) Date: 14-MAR-1989 17:33:13 (22 lines)
From: COM3RAE@CLUSTR.TRENT.AC.UK
Subject: re: contacts in Norway

(3) Date: Tue, 14 Mar 89 06:54:00 EST (55 lines)
From: david tomlinson <h01024%n1@susy.usna.mil>
Subject: XWORD

(4) Date: Tue, 14 Mar 89 09:28:00 EST (39 lines)
From: david tomlinson <h01024%n1@susy.usna.mil>
Subject: communications

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 89 06:32 CST
From: Robin Smith <RSMITH@KSUVM>

only problems are such things as getting PF keys to work correctly, then even
the lowly (public-domain) Kermit can handle that readily. I use MS-Kermit both
from my home PC (at 1200 baud) and an office link (at 9600); it's not overly
fancy, but it does what needs to be done, handles file transfer with the main-
frame (using a mainframe Kermit), and is locally supported for free. The 'set
key' function can be used to attach whatever sequences are necessary to the PF
keys to get them to have their usual effects (and many installations provide
versions with all this built in, through an appropriate .INI file). If some
other institution is willing to make their machine accessible to you, then pre-
sumably they would help you with something like this.