map-making (102)

Wed, 12 Apr 89 21:00:56 EDT

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 827. Wednesday, 12 Apr 1989.

(1) Date: Wed, 12 Apr 89 00:40 EDT (32 lines)
From: Ezra Zubrow <APYEZRA@ubvmsc.bitnet>
Subject: RE: map making?

(2) Date: Wed, 12 Apr 89 10:19 EDT (29 lines)
From: <J_CERNY@UNHH>
Subject: cartograms

(3) Date: Wed, 12 Apr 89 14:30:41 EDT (16 lines)
From: Geoff Rockwell <rockwell@utorgpu>

Date: Wed, 12 Apr 89 00:40 EDT
From: Ezra Zubrow <APYEZRA@ubvmsc.bitnet>

REGARDING MAP MAKING SOFTWARE

1. THERE ARE NUMEROUS MAP MAKING PROGRAMS WHICH CAN
HANDLE A VARIETY OF TYPES OF DATA, DISTORTION, PROJECTIONS
ETC.
2. A FREE PROGRAM IS PC-MAP DEVELOPED BY TOMILNSON PREVIOUSLY
AT HARVARD NOW AT OHIO-STATE. IT IS A GRID BASED GIS SYSTEM.
3. A MORE SOPHISTICATED COMMERCIAL PACKAGE WHICH IS VERY GOOD
BUT TAKES AWHILE TO LEARN IS PC- ARC-INFO WHICH CAN BE
PURCHASED FROM THE ESRI CORPORATION IN REDLANDS CALIFORNIA.
THE ADDRESS IS 380 NY. STREET, REDLANDS CALIF, CA. 92373, TEL
714 793-2853. REGIONAL OFFICES CAN BE FOUND IN CHARLOTTE, NC,
OLYMPIA WASHINGTON, MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA, HUNTSVILLE ALABAMA, AS
WELL AS WEST PERTH , AUSTRALIA; DON MILLS, ONTARIO, CANADA, AND
MUNICH, WEST GERMANY. IT HAS THE ADVANTAGE OF BEING ABLE
TO BE UPLOADED AND DOWNLOADED TO MAINFRAME VERSIONS OF ARC-INFO.
4. A SUN WORKSTATION SUPPORTED SYSTEM IS CALLED SYSTEM 9 WHICH
USES OBJECT LANGUAGE SYNTAX.
5. THERE ARE NUMEROUS OTHER SYSTEMS. ONE MIGHT WISH TO NOTE
THAT IN THE UNITED STATES THERE IS THE NATIONAL CENTER FOR
GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION ANALYSIS WHICH IS DEDDICATED TO SPATIAL
AND MAP MAKING PROBLEMS.
6. ITS OFFICIAL OFFICES CAN BE CONTACTED THROUGH NCGIA@UBVMS.
7. I HOPE THIS IS USEFUL.
EZRA ZUBROW
NATIONAL CENTER FOR GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION ANALYSIS
& DEPT. OF ANTHRO.