scanning, e-texts, the NeXT, and more (108_

Tue, 18 Apr 89 20:21:55 EDT

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 856. Tuesday, 18 Apr 1989.

(1) Date: Tue, 18 Apr 89 13:42 EST (29 lines)
From: Terrence Erdt <ERDT@VUVAXCOM>
Subject: Scanning (25 lines)

(2) Date: Tuesday, 18 April 1989 0934-EST (59 lines)
From: KRAFT@PENNDRLS
Subject: KDEM Scanning; e-texts, etc.

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 89 13:42 EST
From: Terrence Erdt <ERDT@VUVAXCOM>

ANOTHER HUMANIST SCOOP

KURZWEIL TO ANNOUNCE Model 5100

Sources close to Kurzweil report that within 15 to
30 days, the company will announce a new scanner, the
Model 5100. The 5100 reportedly will be trainable and
four times faster than the Model 5000 with "clean" text
and twice as fast with less than ideal type. It will
resemble the 4000 in "trainability" and be particularly
powerful in managing dot matrix output. The sources
indicated, too, that the new model will make the work of
transcription easier.

The Model 5100 apparently will assign special
characters, such as Greek letters, to inscription that it
cannot recognize but which it encounters with some
frequency. Users will then be able to assign ASCII code
for each of the special characters.

from the desk of

Terry Erdt