academic wysiwyg clarified (24)

Mon, 1 May 89 20:30:05 EDT

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 912. Monday, 1 May 1989.

Date: Mon, 1 May 89 12:05 EST
From: <HALPORNJ@IUBACS.BITNET>
Subject: WYSIWYG clarification

I find it hard to believe, but I think that many of my fellow humanists
can't stop to read what they see written. I never said that students should
read bibliographies to determine who the hotshot scholars/teachers are. I
*said* they should look at bibliographies to find out the *fields* in which
the scholars at their possible choices were working. The main point about
WYSIWYG was to advise the potential graduate students to *visit* the campus
and talk to members of the department, faculty *and especially* graduate
students. If you want to discuss publish/perish and the fabled teachers
without Ph.D.s and without publications, fine -- but that's a different
agenda.
Jim Halporn