2.933: grad school; women in medicine (59)

Fri, 5 May 89 21:34:23 EDT

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 933. Friday, 5 May 1989.

(1) Date: Thu, 4 May 89 21:30:00 EDT (26 lines)
From: unh!psc90!jdg@uunet.UU.NET (Dr. Joel Goldfield)
Subject: Choosing a graduate school

(2) Date: Fri, 5 May 89 10:06 EST (13 lines)
From: <PEY365@SCRANTON>
Subject: Women in Medieval Medicine - another reference

Date: Thu, 4 May 89 21:30:00 EDT
From: unh!psc90!jdg@uunet.UU.NET (Dr. Joel Goldfield)

I agree with Willard and other colleagues who have focused on checking
with graduate students about their program as well as with exploring
the writings and teaching ability of the principle faculty with whom
one is likely to study. Probably the most important four hours of
my academic career were the ones I spent soon after consulting with my
thesis advisor, internationally recognized as a comparatist and expert
in the subject area of my dissertation, but who advised me at a somewhat
late date of his inability and lack of desire to deal with
the lexicometric and stylo-statistical elements of my thesis at the
Universit'e de Montpellier III. He was adamant that I find a "guarantor"
of the quality of these components. Fortunately, I had been devouring the
work of another French professor eminently qualified in just this
area. My advisor knew of him as well. I had previously arranged
for an interview, and in a tight train schedule in southern France
before my flight back to the U.S. where I would soon finish the two-tome
thesis, I met with him at his home. In four hours of intensive discussion we
worked out the structure, type and role of the stylo-statistical elements
for this thesis on French fiction. To have had this individual on the
same graduate faculty would have been a great advantage (he later served
as president of the jury), hence my support of all my colleagues in
support of humanities computing and the "interface" with more traditional
graduate studies. --Joel D. Goldfield J_GOLDFI@UNHH