3.15 concordances, cont. (65)

Wed, 10 May 89 00:11:12 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 15. Wednesday, 10 May 1989.

(1) Date: Tue, 09 May 89 07:32:34 EDT (18 lines)
From: David Megginson <MEGGIN@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Re: 3.7 concordances, cont. (48)

(2) Date: 10 May 1989 (27 lines)
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: used concordances, cheap!

Date: Tue, 09 May 89 07:32:34 EDT
From: David Megginson <MEGGIN@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>

The Dictionary of Old English had, perhaps, the best solution to
publishing a concordance. They put out the regular microfiche
concordance to Old English literature less stop-words, then released
the high-frequency concordance which contains only the stop-words.
The literary users are happy because they can get at the words they
want without having to deal with thousands of 'ic', but the
philologists and linguists (can _you_ see the difference?) can get
their hands dirty with more 'ic' than they ever dreamed of.

Of course, hard-copy (or microfiche) concordances should already be
a thing of the past. Even interactive concording programs as
simplistic as WordCruncher leave them out in the cold.

David Megginson <MEGGIN@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>