3.21 concording, cont. (169)

Wed, 10 May 89 22:43:23 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 21. Wednesday, 10 May 1989.

(1) Date: Wed, 10 May 89 07:41:44 EDT (16 lines)
From: David <MEGGIN@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Re: 3.15 concordances, cont. (65)

(2) Date: Wednesday, 10 May 1989 0908-EST (23 lines)
From: KRAFT@PENNDRLS
Subject: Concording

(3) Date: Wed, 10 May 89 11:32:37 EDT (54 lines)
From: Ken Steele <KSTEELE@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Obsolete Concordances

(4) Date: Wed, 10 May 89 13:47:33 EDT (46 lines)
From: "James H. Coombs" <JAZBO@BROWNVM>
Subject: printed concordance obsolescent

Date: Wed, 10 May 89 07:41:44 EDT
From: David <MEGGIN@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>

I agree with Willard McCarty in his love of printed texts, and like
him, I too extend that love to printed concordances. Many of the
concordances of the past are more useful than modern concording programs
because of the careful research and the degree of lemmatisation which
went into them. Nowadays, however, a printed concordance tends just to
be a long dot-matrix print-out with truncated lines and illegible index
numbers. If a scholar is not willing to put 20 years into making her/
his concordance a work of art, or at least of scholarship, I would far
rather have an electronic copy of the text with a good concording
program. Cruden's, however, will never be kicked off my shelf.

David <MEGGIN@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>