3.67 computers for scholarship, cont. (136)

Fri, 26 May 89 00:04:12 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 67. Friday, 26 May 1989.

(1) Date: 25 May 1989, 08:35:23 EDT (24 lines)
From: FLANNAGA at OUACCVMB
Subject: Computers for Scholarship

(2) Date: Thursday, 25 May 1989 1025-EST (50 lines)
From: KRAFT@PENNDRLS
Subject: Scholarly Research on Micros

(3) Date: Thu, 25 May 89 11:05:53 EDT (37 lines)
From: jonathan@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jonathan Altman)
Subject: Re: 3.64 {micro apps for research}

Date: 25 May 1989, 08:35:23 EDT
From: FLANNAGA at OUACCVMB

It is difficult to convince a colleague who hates machines more
complicated than a trowel to love computers, but since I was a convert
to computers partly because they help free one to work at home and
cultivate one's garden, I have no problems preaching. The global
village argument may work, the work-at-home argument may work, the
never-having-to-hit-the-typewriter-return-bar argument might work, but
there will be a few who will never, never, give in to the new technology
of writing because it is new and a technology. +Then+ you might try the
automatic-paragraph-reformat argument, the
push-the-footnotes-to-the-end-of-the-article argument, the block-move
argument. You +might+ talk about the use of other gadgets that can make
the scholar's or editor's life easier, such as the scanner, the laser
printer, the CD-ROM access to enormous data-bases, the e-mail access to
scholars all over the world in less than ten minutes, free. And then
you threaten the stay-behinds that if they don't learn how to use
computers they will be supplanted by people who do, including their
students. Note: the threats don't work either, but if they can see what
you can get done in scholarship, database organization,
information-retrieval, communication, they may get envious and emulate
you. Then they may thank you later, but I doubt it.