3.91 textbase searches? e-Quran? (53)

Sat, 3 Jun 89 00:05:36 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 91. Saturday, 3 Jun 1989.

(1) Date: 02 Jun 89 10:55:00 bst (22 lines)
From: D.Mealand@EDINBURGH.AC.UK
Subject: Textbase Searches

(2) Date: Friday, 2 June 1989 0941-EST (11 lines)
From: HUMM@PENNDRLS
Subject: looking for the Quran

Date: 02 Jun 89 10:55:00 bst
From: D.Mealand@EDINBURGH.AC.UK

Finding words or combinations of words in texts is something quite a lot of us
do. We use different systems to do it, Ibycus for Greek, Wordcruncher,
OCP, AskSam, Xyindex, FY whatever it is, Grep, or just a powerful editor
like ECCE. Some of these are concordance programmes, some are classsified
as text retrieval packages, others just simple search programmes or editors.
We used some years ago to have here a document showing comparative search times
for ECCE, Grep, Concord and OCP but these are now well out of date. It might
be both interesting and useful to get some kind of bench mark for finding
a pair of words in a one megabyte text using various of these software
systems on different hardware. I have seen some reviews of some of these
items (esp. in Bits and Bytes) but don't recollect ever seeing an attempt
at a bench mark. The results might be revealing. I am most interested
not in how efficiently the machine is being used, but how much of my
or your precious time it takes. So how about some of us trying a simple test
for the collocation within one line of two words of about 7 characters each
in a text of about one megabyte on different machines with different software ?

David Mealand (D.Mealand@uk.ac.Edinburgh)