3.100 parvitude; laptops; Koran (74)

Tue, 6 Jun 89 21:12:52 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 100. Tuesday, 6 Jun 1989.

(1) Date: Mon, 5 Jun 89 16:39:01 EDT (6 lines)
From: NZ101@PHOENIX.CAMBRIDGE.AC.UK
Subject: littleness

(2) Date: Mon, 5 Jun 89 11:04:25 EDT (26 lines)
From: unh!psc90!jdg@uunet.UU.NET (Dr. Joel Goldfield)
Subject: laptops

(3) Date: Sun, 04 Jun 89 18:53:28 CST (17 lines)
From: "Robin C. Cover" <ZRCC1001@SMUVM1>
Subject: RE: HUMM'S QUERY ARABIC BIBLE

Date: Mon, 5 Jun 89 16:39:01 EDT
From: NZ101@PHOENIX.CAMBRIDGE.AC.UK

Parvitude is what magnitude isn't.

(2) --------------------------------------------------------------38----
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 89 11:04:25 EDT
From: unh!psc90!jdg@uunet.UU.NET (Dr. Joel Goldfield)

Laptop experience & deserted airwaves
and own a Zenith 181. While these laptops easily become "lug-tops"
when one adds the transformer, carrying case, diskettes, mouse, etc.,
they're quite handy for working in libraries and other locations where
a "portable" just won't do. I usually do not use just the battery pack:
it doesn't last long enough. However, it is important to keep it installed
in case the AC power fails: they batteries take over automatically.

Laptops are extremely annoying if you like to add all sorts of useful
cards (interactive video, another video standard, overlay, etc.), and
a hard disk weighs them down, but the latter is almost indispensable
when dealing with long manuscripts and machine-readable texts.

I will wait at least another year before trading mine in because of recent
innovations in LCD color screen and disk drive technology: the prices
will fall quickly. At present, it seems that a color screen with a 9"
diagonal will set you back at least $1,500 over the monochrome one.

Has anyone noticed that many people seem to have disappeared from Humanist
to some distant location? I guess the interaction time is much shorter
somewhere in Toronto.... See you all Wednesday! --Joel D. Goldfield