3.122 Australia, usenet, Humanist (70)

Wed, 14 Jun 89 21:21:45 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 122. Wednesday, 14 Jun 1989.

(1) Date: Wed, 14 Jun 89 12:16:58 EDT (35 lines)
From: grgo@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Greg Goode)
Subject: Humanities group on UseNet

(2) Date: 14 June 1989 (15 lines)
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: usenet Humanist

Date: Wed, 14 Jun 89 12:16:58 EDT
From: grgo@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Greg Goode)

Willard writes,

> I have just received the following from a Humanist in Australia. If
> anyone knows of a good USENET group for him or, better, knows how
> Humanist might be sent to him as if it were on USENET, please let both
> of us know. Those who have been on Humanist for a time may remember the
> previous departure of members from that part of the world, also because
> of the high cost of e-mail.
>
> Andrew Edward Treloar's address on Bitnet/NetNorth/EARN is
> treloarac@csv.viccol.edu.au.

I don't know any way to have Humanist mailings automatically go
over Usenet, but am looking into it.

There is the possibility, however, of *starting* a Humanities
group on Usenet. Basically, you propose the formation of a group,
discuss it on the newsgroup called news.group for 30 days, and if
there are the right number of votes, I think 100, then it's
approved. Part of the discussion should be whether the group
should be moderated.

For further info, look at news.group, and see the articles
numbered 9959, 10483, and 10484.

Right now, the closest things on Usenet to Humanist are groups
about philosophy, books, and culture. There's a definite gap to
be filled...

--Greg Goode