3.138 spell-checkers? syllabi? PC-Translator? (102)

Sun, 18 Jun 89 20:19:13 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 138. Sunday, 18 Jun 1989.

(1) DATE: Friday, June 16, 1989, 15:26:02 MST (61 lines)
FROM: John J. Hughes <XB.J24@Stanford.BITNET>
SUBJECT: Spell Checking Transliterated Texts

(2) Date: 19 June 1989 (28 lines)
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: syllabus project

(3) Date: Sat, 17 Jun 89 23:06:02 EDT (15 lines)
From: janus@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (Louis E. Janus)

DATE: Friday, June 16, 1989, 15:26:02 MST
FROM: John J. Hughes <XB.J24@Stanford.BITNET>
SUBJECT: Spell Checking Transliterated Texts

Dear HUMANISTs,

HELP!

I am looking for a spell checker to spell check transliterated
words that contain nonalpha characters that represent accents,
breathing, and other diacritical marks. Here are some examples of
such words: E)STI\N and PRW/TH and *)IHSOU=J. The spell checkers
I have tested (MicroSpell, The Word Plus, Word Proof II) only
count alpha strings as whole words. They treat contiguous strings
that contain nonalpha characters (such as PRW/TH) as two or more
words, because they treat the nonalpha characters (e.g., "/") as
word delimiters. Although JET:SPELL is supposed to accept
nonalpha characters as valid components of words, (1) I cannot
get the program to work properly, and (2) the version I have has
a 160-character line limit. The files I need to check have
225-character lines.

A spell checker that would accept nonalpha characters as valid
components of words would allow users to spell check
transliterated texts that contain diacritical marks. I assume
that such a spell checker would be useful to many HUMANISTs.

Does any HUMANIST know of such a spell checker for MS-DOS
machines? The files I need to check have 225-character lines, and
these lines may not be wrapped.

HELP!

John J. Hughes