3.173 biographical supplement 20 (887)

Sun, 25 Jun 89 20:03:18 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 173. Sunday, 25 Jun 1989.

Date: 23 June 1989
From: Willard McCarty <mccarty@utorepas>
Subject: biographical supplement 20

Autobiographies of Humanists
Twentieth Supplement

Following are 35 additional entries to the collection of
autobiographical statements by members of the Humanist discussion
group.

Humanists on IBM VM/CMS systems will want a copy of Jim Coombs'
exec for searching and retrieving biographical entries. It is
kept on Humanist's file-server; for more information, see the
Guide to Humanist.

Further additions, corrections, and updates are welcome.

Willard McCarty
Centre for Computing in the Humanities, Univ. of Toronto
mccarty@utorepas
*Lavagnino, John <LAV@brandeis.bitnet>

I'm a graduate student in English at Brandeis University; my
fields of interest are twentieth-century literature, textual
criticism, and the theory of narrative. But to date what I've
actually done has mostly been computerized typesetting; I
designed, typeset, and indexed *Shakespeare's Othello: A
Bibliography* by John Hazel Smith (AMS Press, 1988).

Before entering this field, I was the systems programmer in the
computer center here, from 1985 through 1987; I kept in touch
with the humanities by teaching people to use our Kurzweil
scanner and by starting the Bialik poetry server, which I still
run.

B.A., Physics, Harvard, 1981; M.A., English, Brandeis, 1989
*Lavagnino, Merri Beth <LAV@YALEVM>

SML Systems, Room 512, P.O. Box 1603A, Yale Station, New Haven,
CT 06520 (203) 432-1850

I am the Assistant to the Head of Systems at Yale University
Libraries. I am most interested in learning how scholars
presently use library systems, and how to plan for their use in
the future. I have a B.S. in Education from Temple University,
and a Masters in Library and Information Science from Indiana
University.
*Logan, Tracy <LOGANT@LAFAYETT.BITNET>

User-services, Academic Computing Services, Lafayette College
Easton, PA 18042. 215/250-5502

I've taught physics, math, astronomy at college-level, and was a
househusband for a decade. Currently I work for Academic
Computing Services at Lafayette, a "small, independent college."
One of my roles, and one I enjoy greatly, is to provide support
for fledgling and experienced computer-users in the Humanities
Division.

Particular interests: Printing (hot and cold type), Logo, Uwe
Johnson's work, Rudolf Bahro's work.
*McSwain, James B. <F0A8@USOUTHAL>

History Department, University of South Alabama, Mobile, AL,
36688; 205-460-6210

My interest is religious history, broadly conceived, particularly
early modern Europe. I am concerned with infant baptism, for
example, as a ritual and rite of passage in the context of
puritan covenant theology. I have taught courses here on the
history of Christianity and religion in Europe also. Currently, I
am using the RLIN facilities at Stanford to compile a
bibliography of 18th c. imprints on infant baptism which is done
via moden/PROCOMM arrangements.
*Megginson, David Paul <MEGGIN@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>

c/o Centre for Medieval Studies University of Toronto Toronto,
Canada M5S 1A1; (416) 969-8512

I have just finished my two years' residency towards a Ph.D. at
the Centre for Medieval studies. I have declared a major field
of early Middle English philology, and am deeply involved in
humanities computing, both as a programmer for two research
projects and as a user. I believe that with our concording and
word-counting programs we are scarcely scratching the surface of
our computers' abilities to help us analyze text, and I am
working on my own to develop a simple free-form database built
around grammatical parsing rather than keys and fields. I am
interested in obtaining as many early Middle English texts as
possible in electronic form, and would appreciate any help other
subscribers can give me.
*Merrilees, Brian <MERRILEE@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>

French Department, Victoria College, University of Toronto (416)
585-4481.

Trained in medieval French and the editing of texts, especially
Anglo-Norman, I have a general interest in the history of the
French language. I have edited three Anglo-Norman texts and
written on Anglo-Norman language. My interest in Anglo-Norman led
to a study of the teaching of French as a second language in
England, other grammars written in French in the Middle Ages,
esp. translations of Donatus, and more recently to work on a
large (467 folios) manuscript dictionary (Latin-French) compiled
in the 15th cty. Text entered in WordPerfect on an XT and
submitted to WordCruncher.
*Mielniczuk, Simon <simon@utoronto>

Manager, Information and Computer Resources, Faculty of Social
Work, Univ. of Toronto 246 Bloor St. W., Toronto, Ont. M5S 1A1
416-978-3266

I am responsible for developing a social information resource
centre for the Faculty. The centre combines the print resources
of the reading room, the video materials of our in-house A-V
department, and the electronic resources of our computer lab. The
model guiding our technical development is the Integrated Work
Station (c) developed by Donald Forgie at the Advanced
Communicating Lab in 1984. Using it, we developed computer work
stations in support of centre management and student use.
Currently, we are working on one for social policy researchers.
Befor becoming consumed by information technology and its
implications, my career started in 196 as a community organizer
working in various disadvantaged neighbourhoods in both Canada
and the U.S.
*Nimick, Thomas Griggs (prefer Tom) <0632281@PUCC.BITNET>

Graduate Student, Department of East Asian Studies, Princeton
University, 211 Jones Hall, Princeton, NJ 08544; (609) 466-0542
(home); (609) 452-4276 (daytime message)

I am a user with curiosity who is willing to try most any new
tool that looks promising. I am also a graduate student in
Chinese history, specializing in the institutional and social
history of the middle and late Ming dynasty (1550-1620). I study
the county magistracy, for which I have found a number of unusual
sources. The county magistrate was the lowest centrally appointed
official, so local interests met central interests within his
administration. His underlings, the clerks, were reputed to be
one of the most corrupt groups in China and it is interesting to
see how the magistrate deals with them.

I majored in French as an undergraduate at Princeton University
after deciding against Chemistry and Mathematics. I got
interested in China through teaching English there. I spent a
year and a half after graduation learning Chinese at the summer
school at Middlebury College and at Princeton. I then taught
English in Shanghai at Fudan University for one year. I married
one of my students and we came to the States.

After a brief experience in the travel industry, I returned to
Princeton to work in the Chinese Linguistics Project, helping to
prepare a new Chinese textbook called Chinese Primer. I continued
my study of Chinese language and became so interested in the
history that now I am studying it full time. All students of
Chinese history must learn Japanese, so now I have that under my
belt as well.

Though I was exposed to computers in an early project by
Carnegie-Mellon University, in which high schools could sign on
to CMU's mainframe, it was only when I became a statistical
programmer to support myself while learning Chinese that I became
a regular user. Since then I have used a number of packages in
various lines of work. I used SAS as a programmer, WATERLOO
SCRIPT and GML to prepare the romanized text for the Chinese
textbook, and SPIRES for my own historical and bibliographic
research.

I am very interested in seeing Chinese characters available on
mainframe computers. I would like to use them when I build
databases, keep bibliographic records, and when I send electronic
mail or read bulletin boards. A number of systems have been
developed for PCs and Macs, but I am looking forward to the day
when mainframes will have Chinese characters as part of their
regular character set.

I have also been watching developments in computing carefully to
see in what ways computers can benefit the study of East Asia. I
am interested in historical geography and the possibilities of
graphics packages. Bibliographic databases are also an obvious
application. Though I encourage other scholars of East Asia to
use computers, to date (6/89), interest has been slight because
it is not clear that computers are that useful for our field.
When Chinese characters become available, things will probably
change rather quickly.

I have many other interests too numerous to mention, but Chinese
current events, theology, railroads, and Chinese chess top the
list. I continue to use computers for my own work and encourage
others, particularly my colleagues in East Asian Studies and
History, to do the same.
*O'Neill, Ynez Viole <IJA4PPL@UCLAMVS>

Professor of Medical History, Medical History Division,
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, UCLA School of Medicine,
Center for the Health Sciences, Los Angeles, California 90024-
1763 USA; office (213) 825-4933, dept. (213) 825-9555

After degrees from Stanford University and the University of
Paris, I received my Ph.D. at UCLA in 1964 in history, working
under C.D. O'Malley, the biographer of Vesalius. My early work
centered on the conceptualization of speech and speech disorders
in ancient and medieval times. Acting on a suggestion from my
mentor, Professor O'Malley, I began some twenty years ago to
gather materials for a history of early anatomy, and have heavily
focussed my history, which will be published in the near future,
will describe the medieval development of the discipline of
anatomy, which in turn produced a metamorphosis of medical theory
and practice in the later Middle Ages.

Meanwhile, I have published on the the transfer of anatomical
knowledge through the Islamic world to the Latin Middle Ages; on
the relationship between canon law, autopsy, and dissection; on
the link between the earliest anatomical manual and the concept
of the microcosm, a dominant philosophical idea of the twelfth
century; on the school of surgery at Bologna where systematic
human dissection was first accepted; on the "new surgery" in
Chaucer's Knight's Tale; and numerous other medieval medical
topics. At present, I am overseeing the creation of the Index of
Medieval Medical Images (IMMI), the compilation of all medical
illustrations in North American collections before 1500.
*Pace, Guy L. <PACE@WSUVM1>

Consultant, Computer Services Information Center Washington State
University Pullman, WA 99163-2088 (509)335-0411

Born July 3, 1951, Great Falls, Mont. Served in the U.S. Navy
from 1970 to 1974, with combat service in Vietnam. Commissioned
in the U.S. Army Reserve in 1976. Retired in 1987 as Captain.
Earned a BA degree in Communication at Central Washington
University, Ellensburg, WA., 1985. Worked as reporter, sports and
news editor and managing editor at four community newspapers,
published a computer users newsletter, edited a National Guard
bi-monthly information newsletter. Currently providing
information and help to IBM 3090 and micro users.
*Parsons, Mikeal <PARSONSM@BAYLOR.BITNET>

Assistant Professor, Department of Religion, BU Box 7294, Baylor
University Waco, TX 76798-7294; 817-755-3735 ext 6332 wk; 817-
666-4683 hm

I am an assistant professor of New Testament and Christian
Origins at Baylor University. I am most interested in literary
theory and its application to biblical texts. Below are
representative publications and professional involvement.

Publications: The Departure of Jesus in Luke-Acts: The Ascension
Narratives in Context (Sheffield: JSOT Press, 1987); with
Richard I. Pervo, The Unity of the Lukan Writings Reconsidered
(Philadelphia: Fortress, forthcoming); "'Allegorizing Allegory':
Narrative Analysis and Parable Interpretation," Perspectives in
Religious Studies, 15 (1988) 147-164; "A Christological Tendency
in P75," Journal of Biblical Literature, 105 (1988): 463-479.

Professional Involvement: Charter Member, Literary Facets
Seminar, Westar Institute Member, Literary Aspects of the Gospels
and Acts Group, Society of Biblical Literature Member, Acts
Group, Society of Biblical Literature Member, Editorial Board,
Perspectives in Religious Studies

I spent last summer as a Visiting Scholar studying literary
theory at Duke University in the English Department, headed by
Stanley Fish. Jeanne and I have one daughter, Lauren, and are
expecting a second child on May 28, 1989!
*Perry, Richard Todd <PERRY_R@WABASH.bitnet>

110 Morris Hall Wabash College Crawfordsville, IN 47933 (317)
362-9965

I am a student at Wabash College, a liberal arts instiution in
Indiana. Although I am a double major in History and Theatre, I
have always had a passionate interest in anything technical. I am
interested in computers, in radio ( both professional and amateur
), and engineering. I would love to be able to relate one side of
my brain to the other, and membership in groups like Humanist are
a way to do that. I prefer to be called Todd. I enjoy reading
anything that comes within reach, and play the recorder. I also
fiddle with circuts. The rest is subject to change without
notice.
*Pierssens, Michel <R22750@UQAM>,

Full Prof., Dept of Literary Studies, UQAM (Montreal). 514-342-
2297.

Field: lit. and science. European lits. 19th and 20th c. Books:
La tour de babil, Paris, Minuit (The Power of Babel, London,
Routledge and Kegan Paul); Lautreamont, Presses Univ. de Lille;
Maurice Roche, Amsterdam, Rodopi; in press: Epistemocritique,
Presses univ. de Lille; in progress: Literature and the Psychical
Sciences Movement in England and France, 1848-1924.

Career: lecturer, Aix-en-Provence; U of Wisconsin-Madison;
Associate prof., U of Michigan-Ann Arbor; visiting various
places. Founder and editor, SubStance, U of Wisconsin Press
(1970-pres). Editorial boards: Etudes francaises (Montreal),
Litterature (Paris), Transatlantique (Paris-Montreal), Surfaces
(electronic journal starting september, Montreal), etc.
*Pival, Paul J., Jr., <PJP23@PITTVMS>

Associate Professor of English, University of Pittsburgh at
Bradford, Bradford, PA 16701 (Office) (814) 362-3801; 573 West
Washington, Bradford, PA; (Home) (814) 362-1757 after 5 pm ET

Once upon a time active in English literature of the middle ages
(Ph.D. 1973, University of Wisconsin-Madison), but the vagaries
and vicissitudes of employment have allowed me to forget most of
what I once professed to have known about the Chester Cycle.
Married, two children away at college. For the past thirteen
years I have taught courses in literature and composition to
undergraduates at a small (enrollment 1000) rural branch campus.
I am keenly interested in innovative applications of computers in
the classroom, so interested, in fact, that I am presently
pursuing an undergraduate degree in computer science.
*Public Access Humanist Bulletin Board <INFOVAX@UWYO.BITNET>

Richard Likwartz, Systems Programmer II, University of Wyoming.

This account represents humanist pieces being posted to a
university wide bulletin board. They will be read by many people
with varying backrounds. The people responding to the posted
pieces will have to give there biographies, if they wish. The
account INFOVAX is synonomous with the University of Wyoming
HUMANIST bulletin board.
*Rakestraw, John A. Jr. "[DCGQAL]WESLEYAN.GA" <XB.DAS@STANFORD>
(this entire address, incl. the
quotation marks,
must be used from any
Bitnet/NetNorth/EARN site)

Philosophy and Religious Studies, Wesleyan College, Macon,
Georgia 31297 912/474-7057, ext. 231 AppleLink address:
WESLEYAN.GA

I am an Assistant Professor of philosophy and religious studies
at Wesleyan College in Macon, Georgia. In addition, I chair
Wesleyan's Computer Focus committee. The Computer Focus program,
which the committee developed and maneuvered through the faculty
and board of trustees last year, has several components, the most
visible being the plan to provide a Macintosh computer to each
full-time faculty member and each full-time student. (Faculty
computers are owned by the College; each student will take her
computer with her when she graduates.)

I first became interested in using the computer while writing my
dissertation. In the past year I have become more and more
excited about the possibilities of using the computer in support
of our educational program. I am currently focussing on the use
of hypermedia, using, on one level, Brown University's Intermedia
and, on another level, Apple's HyperCard, as a software platform.
*Rollmann, Hans <hans@mun>
<hans@leif.mun.cdn>, <hrollman@munucs.uucp>
CIS:75040,21, GEnie: ROLLMANN

Assoc. Prof., Department of Religious Studies, Memorial
University of Newfoundland, St. John's, NF, A1C 5S7; Voice: 726-
2559 (home), 737-8171.8166 (university).

EDUCATION: B.A. Religious Studies/Greek (Pepperdine University);
M.A. World Religions (Vanderbilt University); Ph.D. New Testament
(McMaster University).

EMPLOYMENT: Post-doctoral Research Associate, McMaster Project on
Normative Self-Definition in Judaism and Christianity (1979/80);
Assistant Professor of Religious Studies, University of Toronto
(1980/81); Assist. Prof. Christian Thought and History, Memorial
University of Newfoundland (1981/83); Assoc. Prof. Christian
Thought and History, Memorial University (1984-present);
Coordinator Newfoundland Studies Minor Programme (1987-present).

RESEARCH INTERESTS: Historical Critical Method in Biblical
Studies during the 19th Century; History of Religions
Methodology; Religion in Newfoundland and Labrador; Religious and
Intellectual History of Germany, England, and North America
during the 19th and 20th Centuries.

COMPUTER: IBM/286 with 40 MB harddisk at home and at work
(peripherals: 2400 Baud Modem, DFI HS3000 Hand scanner, Mouse,
Hercules Plus Graphics Card, 24-pin printer (home) and LJ II (at
work).

COMPUTER APPLICATIONS: Text; Database; Graphics; Communications;
PIMs; Project Management.
*Ronit, Shamgar (Miss) <HUUSR@HUJIVM1.Bitnet>

48c Tshernichovski str. Jerusalem, Israel Tel. 630784

I am a student of comparative religion in the Hebrew University,
I read the letter you sent to Galen Marquis (with his permission)
and I am interested in joining the HUMANIST. I am in the last
stages of writing my post graduate paper (my M.A. thesis) on
manichaean liturgy in the middle Iranian texts found in Tun-
Huang; it sound pompous but what it actually is trying to find
out what was the ritual of the manichaeans (a 4th cent. dualistic
heresy), a goal that cannot be reached really (though it is nice
to try) but one finds nice things on the way.

For a living I work now in DTP (Dest Top Publishing), I worked a
few years as a computer programmer but I needed a change from
that.
*Shapira, Ronen 03-443090 <RONEN1@TAUNIVM>

8a Miriam Hahashmonait, Tel-Aviv 62665 Israel; tel 972-3-443090

I am gradute student in history at the Tel-Aviv university with a
specific intrest in French history. I am even thinking to go for
a Ph.D thesis. History is my obsession, but translating is my
profession. Just lately I prepared a new translation of "Gone
With the Wind" to Hebrew and I am working as a translator for
Israel bigest daily: "Yediot Aharonot". At the moment my main
scholarly intrest is Alexis De Tocqueville, the greatest French
of them all. (To my opinion, at least).
*Short, Dennis Ray <SHORT@PURCCVM> <shortdr@pc.ecn.purdue.edu>

Associate Professor, Purdue University, School of Technology, 363
Knoy Hall W. Lafayette, IN 47907 (317) 494-6457 Purdue, (317)

I currently teach CAD and CIM courses in the School of Technology
at Purdue Uinversity. Promoted to Assoc. Prof. and Tenured in
July 88. Currently member of World Future Society and have
presented papers in the area of the Impact of Computers on
Education and the application of Futures Research to Curriculum
planning. More recent activity involved a pilot futures course at
the U. of Arizona at Tuscon. This was a distance learning
exercise involoving the ICOSY c conferncing systems. Functioned
as guest lecturer remotely from Indiana.

Currently working with two colleagues on computer applications to
History and Archaeology. One involves the modeling of potery into
a CAD system to make structural classification to aide in
classification and the other involves imaging cuneiform tablets,
producing "cleaned up" images, and attempting automatic partial
translation using a field portable system. The potery project is
with a Professor in PRC.
*Smith, Scott <smithsr@snyplava>

Lecturer, Dept. of Computer Science, SUNY Plattsburgh,
Plattsburgh, N.Y. 12901 (518) 564-2781

My interests include the development of hypertext courseware
environments, philosophy of mind and language, the German
language, cognitive science, etc.

I hold the B.Sc. and M.Sc. in Computing and Information Science
from Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario, Canada.
Subsequently, I worked as a guest researcher in Bonn, West
Germany, at the Gesellschaft fuer Informatik und
Datenverarbeitung, on the topic of designing better computer
interfaces for people. For the last three years, I have been
teaching in the Department of Computer Science at SUNY
Plattsburgh, where my teaching and research interests have
included teaching programming (to majors and non-majors),
computers in society, artificial intelligence and philosophy of
mind, and the development of hypertext courseware environments.

Beginning in September, I will be on leave of absence from SUNY
Plattsburgh while commuting to McGill University in Montreal,
where I will be working on a Ph.D. in Philosophy, with an
orientation towards cognitive science, emphasizing comparisons
between philosophy of mind and artificial intelligence.

I would be pleased to hear from like-minded individuals on any
overlapping interests.
*Smurthwaite, John S. <smurthwa@hartford>

Dept. of Foreign Languages and Literatures, Hillyer 326,
University of Hartford, W. Hartford, CT 06117; (203) 243-4317;
119 Hollywood Ave., W. Hartford, CT 06110; (203) 953-3474

I was born in La Grande, Oregon. I left my mountain home to gain
both an education and experience of something (not necessarily
better) than logging and farming. I received my Ph.D. in Romance
Studies from Cornell University in 1986. My dissertation
investigated how time functions in the narrative of Augustine's
Confessions, Dante's Divine Comedy and Petrarch's "Triumph of
Eternity." And while I remain primarily interested in literary
and philosophical topics which focus of medieval and renaissance
Italian literature, I am also involved in studying and writing on
how feminist theory can help gain more under- standing of the
literature and society of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Current research projects: I am editing the important
Renaissance commentaries on Dante's Divine Comedy by Landino and
Vellutello for the Dartmouth Dante Project. I am also preparing
a book on Petrarch's Triumphs. I have nearly completed articles
on Primo Levi's "Il canto of Ulisse," and feminist readings of
Dante's Francesca and Petrarch.

Other fields of interest: Interdisciplinary studies and
education (I teach an undergraduate interdisciplinary course on
the Italian Renaissance each semester.); the evolution of
humanistic education during the 14th and 15th centuries;
Renaissance treatises on aesthetics before Tasso; Primo Levi, and
on and on.
*Sperberg-McQueen, Marian R. <U15440@UICVM>

Associate Professor, Dept. of German, M/C 189, Univ. of Illinois
at Chicago, P.O. Box 4348, Chicago, IL 60680; (312) 996-3205

I teach German language and literature to undergraduate and
graduate students; my main research interest is seventeenth-
century German literature, especially poetry. I developed a
computer-dependency in about 1983; my spouse had been trying
valiantly to get me hooked since 1978. My earliest computer
memories are not happy ones, as they generally seemed to involve
overcooked dinners resulting from said spouse's own habit -- "I
just need to make one little change and then I can print it out
and come home." Ha. My first computer high -- and the beginning
of my addiction -- came when I was preparing to publish some
17th-century German and Latin poems by Paul Fleming that I'd
recently discovered: getting an initial, accurate transcription
of the poems, with their idiosyncratic orthography was a pain;
the thought that I'd probably introduce errors every time I
edited and cleaned up and re-typed the article was pretty
irritating. The solution was to put the things into the computer
once, accurately, and-- voila....

I seem to use the computer (IBM mainframe and PC with WP) mainly
for word processing, data base (SSI-Data), and mail. I'm also
slowly building up a collection of texts of German prose and
verse for use in teaching -- this decreases my dependency on
published editions and anthologies, which, with a few notable
exceptions, assume that no undergraduate student could ever
possibly be interested in, much less capable of, reading anything
written in German before 1750, and that students just beginning
their study of German literature should not be exposed to
anything earlier than Kafka.

I frequently find myself wishing that more of my colleagues --
ones at my own university and elsewhere -- were less mainframe
phobic. I can't think of anyone who doesn't have a pc, but as a
mainframe user, I feel pretty lonely. What does it take to get
people convert from the stone age to e-mail? So I guess I'm sort
of banking on Humanist to supply me with the support group I need
for my habit.
*Steele, Kenneth Bruce. <KSTEELE@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>

Ph.D. Thesis Student, Graduate Department of English, University
of Toronto. 1101-30 Charles Street West, Toronto, Ontario M4Y
1R5; (416) 920-4543

My current thesis research involves evidence for "poetic
revision" in the early plays of Shakespeare. My professional
interests are therefore Renaissance drama and literature, textual
studies, editorial theory, and holograph manuscripts. My
literary affections also tend toward the Romantic poets, major
novelists (Walter Scott, Charles Dickens), and popular romance.
For the past 18 months, I have devoted much energy to the
consolidation of electronic texts in the Centre for Computing in
the Humanities' Shakespeare Text Archive project. I have been
adapting the electronic texts of the Howard-Hill Concordances,
kindly supplied by Oxford University Computing Services, for use
with Brigham Young University's WordCruncher text retrieval
software.
*Stevens, Wesley M. <UOWWMS@UOFMCC>

Professor of Medieval History, University of Winnipeg, Winnipeg,
Manitoba R3B 2E9; 204/786-9203 leave message for return call.

Stevens is interested in early medieval schools and early Latin
manuscripts, especially in evidence of scientific writing and
activites.

Among his publications are the Computus of Hrabanus Maurus of
Fulda, A.D.820; "Fulda scribes at work, the paleographical
analysis and dating of an early Carolingian manuscript" (1972),
and the Jarrow Lecture for l985: "Bede's scientific achievement."
He has lectured at several universities in several countries,
served six years on the Board of the Canadian Federation for the
Humanities, and now is a member of the Canadian National
Committee for the International Union of History and Philosophy
of Science.

He organised a Symposium on "Computer Programmes for Medieval and
Renaissance Manuscript Sources" at the International Congress of
History of Science, Hamburg/Munich, 1-9 August l989. He is co-
director of the Benjamin Catalogue for History of Science and co-
author of "The Benjamin Data Bank and BAG/2: a case history"
(l980). The focus of his research is the medieval computus, and
he is preparing a "Catalogue of computistical tracts in medieval
Latin manuscripts, A.D.200-1600," with current attention on the
years 200-1200 for the first volume.

Stevens has also given some years of public service on boards of
the Winnipeg Art Gallery, The Manitoba Chamber Orchestra, the
Winnipeg Bach Festival, and the Manitoba Arts Council. He and his
wife, Virginia, belong to an amateur recorder quartet and would
enjoy playing with others who love music, whether early or
modern.
*Strudwick, Nigel <IBENAGE@UCLAMVS>

Lecturer in Egyptology, Dept. of Near Eastern Languages and
Cultures, UCLA

My interests lie in both the Ancient Egyptian Old and new
Kingdoms. I am currently involved in fieldwork in Luxor in Egypt,
publishing some of the "Tombs of the Nobles". This work has been
going on since 1984, and is a sort of rescue project, since all
antiquities there are in danger of destruction from a variety of
sources.

Computer interests vary widely. I use micros for a gret deal of
my work, and am particularly interested in databases, especially
encouraging the making available of them to the wider academic
community. I am presently a member of the international committee
for computers in Egyptology.
*Stuart, Ralph <rmgtrbs@uvmadmin>

Chemical Safety Coordinator, 109 S. Prospect St., Burlington, VT
05405 (802) 656-3068

I am an Industrial Hygienist in Training at the University of
Vermont. My primary responsibilties are running the Chemical
Right to Know Office, which involves providing information to
laboratory workers about the hazards of the chemicals they are
using. I also get involved in various environmental health and
safety issues around campus, such as indoor air quality problems,
concerns about video display terminals, and other assorted stuff.

I use micro computers to produce a newsletter for the campus on
chemical safety topics, and for general office work. I have used
both mainframes and microcomputers at various times since 1970,
when I was in high school. My primary interest in them beyond
using them as a tool is how they might be used to provide access
to information, particularly scientific information, to lay
people. It seems to me that this involves communication theory,
the sociology of science, and the influence of the speed of
information on culture as much as the constraints of the
technology.
*Stuehler, David M. <e989003@njecnvm>
<stuehler@apollo.montclair.edu>

Assoc. Prof., English Department, Special Assistant to the Dean,
School of Humanities and Social Sciences; English Department,
Montclair State College, Upper Montclair, New Jersey 07043 Phone:
(201) 893-7305, 4314

My present job duties include maintaining and managing a computer
lab of 20 networked PC's running Novell Netware and coordinating
all computer purchases for our school. In addition, I am planning
a larger network to encompass five other labs and all the
individual computers in the school. This will also be a Novell
network but be connected through TCP/IP to the college's VAX's, a
mainframe, and Internet. I also teach technical writing in the
lab and am planning a graduate course in computing in the
Humanities for next Spring.

All this leaves little time for my real interests--hypertext
teaching applications and computer assisted literary analysis. A
colleague and I are seeking support for a hypertext, hypermedia
project on a gender related issue, and I am just beginning to
explore the possibility of using QUALOG, a qualitative data
analysis program that runs on the VAX for a study of Conrad's
novels. I have been fooling around with Word Cruncher and Heart
of Darkness to little effect as yet. My schedule has left little
time for the necessary research so I am not current in this area.
Perhaps in the Summer.
*Taylor, James Stewart. <Taylor@utorepas>

348 Palmerston Blvd. Toronto, Ontario, M6G 2N6. (416) 972-6852.

Of myself, I may say the following: I am currently enrolled in a
Master's programme at the University of Toronto. The subject of
my thesis is Sanskrit grammar. Linguistics and Indian culture are
closely related fields in which I have done work. Formerly, I
taught Music and occasionally played professionally. I am
particularly interested in spoken Sanskrit and exploring
applications of this most unusual language in the modern context.
*Tingsell, Jan-Gunnar <tingsell@hum.gu.se>

Computer Service Center, Faculty of Arts, University of
Gothenburg, S-412 98 Gothenburg, Sweden Telephone: +46 (0)31
634553

I am working as the administrator for the Computer Service Center
at the Faculty of Arts, University of Gothenburg, Sweden.

Our center is intended to be a support organisation for all
research in the humanities. We try to encourage the teachers and
researchers to use this technology, to collect information about
programs and ideas about computing in the humanities from other
research instituitons. It embraces disciplines for instance such
as languages, linguistics, philosophy, history, archeology,
ethnology and musical research.

We are running a mini computer, terminal network and
peripherials. We are also supporting micro computers, IBM
(clones) and Macintosh, and are working to connect them all to an
Ethernet based computer network. We are also running courses for
the most commonly used computer programs.

I belong to the anonymous group "Humanists in Gothenburg". We
have a local distribution list here to save the network capacity.
The following persons are at time being members of our local
list: Daniel Ridings, Gunhild Viden, Jan-Gunnar Tingsell, Yvonne
Cederholm, Karin Wagner, Gerhard Bauhr, Tore Jansson.
*Treloar, Andrew Edward (TRELOARAC@CSV.VICCOL.EDU.AU)

Lecturer in Information Management, Victoria College, Rusden
Campus 662 Blackburn Road, Clayton Victoria, Australia, 3168. Ph.
(03) 542-7338 Fax (03) 544 7413

B.A. (hons.), University of Melbourne, 1980; Majors in Germanic
Languages and Linguistics; Grad. Dip. in Computer Science,
University of Melboune, 1983; M.A., University of Melbourne,
Submitted, awaiting (anxiously) examiner's report.

My interests are currently in the areas of computational
stylistics (and its relationship to literary criticism), expert
systems and artificial intelligence, and human-computer interface
design.

My undergraduate thesis involved the analysis of some aspects of
a Dutch novel 'Boeren Psalm' by Felix Timmermans using my own
computer programs.

For my Master's thesis I built on the programs I had already
written and extended them to analyse 'Characterization in
Virginia Woolf's The Waves'. The results of this work provided
strong support for one of the main schools of thought regarding
this work.

Until recently I have been lecturing in the areas of Database
Design and Microcomputer Hardware and Software. I am presently on
secondment as the National Co-ordinator of the Health Education
and Promotion System (HEAPS), an on-line database of programs and
resources in the field of health education and promotion.

I am a member of the Association for Literary and Linguistic
Computing (ALLC), and the Australian Computer Society (ACS). I
would love to join the ACM as well, but I can't afford it!
*Unger, Richard W. <userpvif@ubcmtsg>

Professor, Department of History, University of British Columbia
1297-1873, East Mall, Vancouver, B. C. Canada V6T 1W5 604-228-
5110

Areas of interest: History of the medieval economy and especially
the development of technology and its relationship to that
economy. The work has concentrated on four principal topics
which range through the Middle Ages and down into the 19th
century. The first is the history of Dutch shipbuilding up to
1800. The second is more general and includes the development of
European ship design and shipping in its economic context from
600 to 1600. The third is illustrations of shipbuilders in
medieval art which means principally pictures of Noah buiding the
ark. The fourth is the economic and technical history of Dutch
brewing from the early Middle Ages through the 19th century.
There are publications on the first and second and publications
beginning to appear on the third and fourth. There is a fifth
area on the horizon where some work has already been done and
that is the international trade in grain, its origins and
effects, in Europe from the 14th century through the 19th.
*Verboom, A.W.C. <AADV@HLERUL5>

Drs. (= M.A.), Kern Institute, P.O.Box 9515, NL 2300 RA Leiden,
The Netherlands.

Aad Verboom is currently doing a doctorate research at Kern
Institute, University of Leiden, the Netherlands. The research
is largely in the field of indology (i.e. Languages and Cultures
of South and South-East Asia) but it also comprises computer-
linguistics in sofar as Sanskrit, the most important classical
language of India, is concerned.

The indological research is focused on a buddhist Sanskrit text,
the first two chapters of the Astasahasrika-prajnaparamita-
sutra, i.e. the teaching on the perfection of discriminating
insight in eight-thousand lines. While the extant Sanskrit text
of the 11th Century A.D. is often quite unreliable and hard to
understand, there are some Chinese translations from the 2nd
Century A.D. onwards which are shorter, more concise and
especially more clear.

The research aims at the reconstruction of a relatively old (5th
Century A.D.) and more reliable/understandable version by
comparison of the extant Sanskrit versions and their correspon-
ding Chinese translations, mainly those of Kumarajiva. The
subject-matter of the texts is mysticism, they deal with a method
of gaining the full enlightenment of a buddha in contrast to
methods of reaching lower levels of enlightenment as in other
schools of buddhism.

The computer linguistic research aims at the development of
forma- lisms and computerprograms to deal with Sanskrit, a
classical Indo-European language with a very complex morphology.
In order to lay a good foundation for an intelligent system the
initial efforts of the last few years have gone into the
development of a quite sophisticated Sanskrit wordparser, which
will be finished April 1989.

Prototypes for the reconstruction of Sandhi as well as for the
creation of computer-generated lexica have already been created.
For the next few years attention will be focused mainly on the
development of a syntax-parser and a formalism to split up the
very frequent composites.

The last few years the use of OCP has provided support for the
comparison of the Sanskrit texts in the above-mentioned indologi-
cal research. At the present stage the facilities have improved
considerably in sofar as an Online-Database system is now
available at Leiden University.
*Wupper, Axel <UPG202@DBNRHRZ1>

Department of Historical Geography, University of Bonn,
Konviktstrasse 11, D-5300 Bonn 1 (Fed.Rep. of Germany); +49 (228)
733690. PRIVATE: Am Botanischen Garten 16, D-5300 Bonn 1
(Fed.Rep. of Germany), +49 (228) 636972.

Born 1954, working on a doctor's thesis on "Changes in the
Agricultural Landscape in the Rhineprovinz between the World
Wars". The department is collecting data for a bibliography on
"Settlement Research in Central Europe" which is intended to
develope into a databank ...
*Zielke, Thomas <113355@DOLUNI1>

Universitaet Oldenburg, FB 3/Historisches Seminar, Postfach 2503,
2900 Oldenburg, Federal Republic of Germany 0441/798-3109

Since about 1984, I've been exploring what computers can do for
me to make my work as a historian more interesting, faster and
easier. I have started from to very beginnings of computering and
now work mainly on analysing tax (and related) registers from the
17th to the 19th century. My interests led me soon to the problem
where to find people with same or similar interests (especially
of course the use of computer technology), people I could ask for
a solution of a current problem, people I could tell about my
ideas for processing of data and, which I would call my very
strongest interest, people I could talk to without being regarded
as being a half-god, a computer-idiot, a betrayer of the
historians' race and so on. (You wouldn't believe it, but
actually some of my colleagues believe me to at least one of the
mentioned things...) So my hope is that finally in this list I
should find someone whose interests lie in the same area and with
whom I could start an interesting conversation, which I would
assume to go beyond being asked how to solve this and that
problem with what program.....