3.185 humanities computing (117)

Wed, 28 Jun 89 20:59:36 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 185. Wednesday, 28 Jun 1989.

(1) Date: Tue, 27 Jun 89 21:15:25 EDT (30 lines)
From: amsler@flash.bellcore.com (Robert A Amsler)
Subject: Humanities computing

(2) Date: Wed, 28 Jun 89 08:40:01 EDT (20 lines)
From: David Megginson <MEGGIN@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Re: 3.179 new things under the sun? German Humanists? (86)

(3) Date: Tue, 27 Jun 89 21:53 EST (42 lines)
From: <WADE@CRNLGSM>
Subject: re 3.179 humanities computing

Date: Tue, 27 Jun 89 21:15:25 EDT
From: amsler@flash.bellcore.com (Robert A Amsler)

Interestingly enough, people have held the same view about
computer science itself. That is, that computer science isn't
a discipline itself, but a collection of things taken from
mathematics, logic, electrical engineering and the like which
will eventually all reclaim their territories.

I don't think this will happen. Invariably, something new
develops in the center of a new field and remains when all
else is subtracted away. For computer science it may have been
formal specification of programming languages, proving programs
correct, etc. For humanities computing it may be some theorems
which have yet to be discovered about things such as aesthetics,
stylistics, authorship (or artistry) identification.

Clearly there is far too little of the humanities which is readily
available electronically for anyone to do definitive studies at this
point. Perhaps for Greek this can now be done, but surely for many
other languages and time periods or even artistic media, the
available bodies of computer-readable material fall far short of
the requirements for doing humanistic research compared to what
could be done with the original materials. For example, for how
many authors can one locate the complete computer-readable works?
Look at the effort it would take to complete a computer version of
the Norton Guide to English Literature? And that is a minimal
requirement for undergraduate education--not advanced scholorship.