3.256 bibliographic and textbase managers? (55)

Mon, 17 Jul 89 17:35:02 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 256. Monday, 17 Jul 1989.

(1) Date: Mon, 17 Jul 89 09:28:00 EDT (14 lines)
From: <MSWENSON@IUBACS.BITNET>
Subject: TEXT-BASE MANAGERS

(2) Date: Mon, 17 Jul 89 17:19:00 EDT (19 lines)
From: TBESTUL@crcvms.unl.edu
Subject: Bibliographic database software

Date: Mon, 17 Jul 89 09:28:00 EDT
From: <MSWENSON@IUBACS.BITNET>

I'm a new Humanist subscriber, so forgive me if you guys have already
discussed this stuff. I am analyzing verbatim transcripts of interviews.
I'd like to be able to do this on the computer. However, I do not want
to use pre-established keywords. I want to be able to identify "chunks"
that fit with other "chunks" before I decide what label to attach to them.
I have looked at "ASK SAM", and "THE ETHNOGRAPH", but both seem to
require premeature labeling. I use NOTA BENE as a wordprocesser, but
have not figured out how to use it as a text-base precesser, nor even
if it would work for the purpose I have in mind. Anybody out there
with similar problems and potential solutions? Thanks.