3.286 grammar checkers; bib utilities (153)

Wed, 26 Jul 89 08:30:04 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 286. Wednesday, 26 Jul 1989.

(1) Date: Tue, 25 Jul 89 07:29:26 EDT (34 lines)
From: "Eric Johnson DSU, Madison, SD 57042" <ERIC@SDNET.bitnet>
Subject: Grammar and style checkers

(2) Date: Tue, 25 Jul 89 08:11:51 EDT (55 lines)
From: David.A.Bantz@mac.Dartmouth.EDU
Subject: Re: 3.281 NB bib utility? (74)

(3) Date: Tue, 25 Jul 89 14:53 EDT (39 lines)
From: <BURT@BRANDEIS>
Subject: bibliography software

Date: Tue, 25 Jul 89 07:29:26 EDT
From: "Eric Johnson DSU, Madison, SD 57042" <ERIC@SDNET.bitnet>

As the creator of a grammar and style checker (StrongWriter), I think
I understand why Michael Hart got the results he did from Grammatik III.

Grammar and style checkers are intended to analyze files consisting of
a few hundred words, and should function the same on several thousand words.
However, if a checker is given a whole novel consisting of thousands of
sentences, it is difficult to know what will result. The sentence count
provided by Grammatic III will probably be correct if it is given only a
chapter of _Alice_in_Wonderland_ rather than the whole novel at once.

Single quotation marks are a problem. Since the same character is also
an apostrophe, it must be included in the definition of a word such as
CAN'T, but the program must be written in such a way that the single
quotation mark is not considered part of a word if the word happens to
be the first found within single quotation marks ( I remember saying
"He called 'Help me!'" the word is HELP and not 'HELP.)

Replacing commas with periods in a text should reduce the grade
level, since readability is based (in part) on sentence length. However,
the end of a sentence is recognized not only as having a period (or other
terminal punctuation) but as a period and two spaces. Therefore, changing
commas to periods should increase the sentence count only when the
commas were as the ends of lines.

Grammar and style checkers are of value to student writers because
they point out common blunders and make suggestions for revision. As a
writing teacher, I believe any program that turns writers' attention back
for additional revision is helpful.

Eric Johnson ERIC@SDNET