3.299 man-haters and killer-women (66)

Fri, 28 Jul 89 21:10:51 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 299. Friday, 28 Jul 1989.

(1) Date: 28 July 1989, 18:24:16 EDT (21 lines)
From: FLANNAGA at OUACCVMB
Subject: gender specific man-haters and "killer-women"

(2) Date: 28 July 1989 (25 lines)
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: sexual devourers

Date: 28 July 1989, 18:24:16 EDT
From: FLANNAGA at OUACCVMB

Ariosto in Cantos 19 and 20 of the *Orlando Furioso* constructs a
sympathetic account of a nation of warlike women who rule themselves and
regularly enslave or exterminate most of the men they encounter or even
give birth to. They subject men to a severe test of strength, warlike
skill and sexual potency: "Only he could escape this fate [being killed
on contact or enslaved] who achieved victory over ten men in combat, and
the same night in bed was able to pleasure ten damsels" (trans. Guido
Waldman; sorry, I don't have the Italian at home). Other similar
islands or inland nations of murderous or man-destroying women are
reported in Apollonius of Rhodes' *Argonautica* and in the *Aeneid*,
often associated, at least loosely with the semi-mythical Amazons. But
I don't remember the "man-killer" phrase in any language I am acquainted
with being associated with "man-hater." I thought the idea was that
you didn't have to hate men in order to kill them; one Amazon princess
was supposed to have selected Alexander the Great to propagate her
children because he was such a noble warrior. Any further reports from
antiquity? Roy Flannagan