3.300 computers and progress (50)

Fri, 28 Jul 89 21:13:24 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 300. Friday, 28 Jul 1989.

(1) Date: Fri, 28 Jul 89 08:37:17 CDT (12 lines)
From: "Kevin L. Cope" <ENCOPE@LSUVM>
Subject: Computers and the Multiplication of Toil

(2) Date: Fri, 28 Jul 89 18:52:00 EDT (19 lines)
From: NMILLER@TRINCC.BITNET

Date: Fri, 28 Jul 89 08:37:17 CDT
From: "Kevin L. Cope" <ENCOPE@LSUVM>

I enjoyed Mr. Evens's remarks concerning the tendency of improvements in
technology to increase the net amount of work or production in the world.
But I have one question. Do his figures take into account the decrease
in population (or at least population growth) that accomapnies prosperity?
Yes, a cheaper, more easily produced product will draw more buyers (good
(point), but is the supply of buyers unlimited? I've heard that population
growth tends to drop off as a function of the prosperity of a given
group of people. Thanks for your help.
(2) --------------------------------------------------------------26----
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 89 18:52:00 EDT
From: NMILLER@TRINCC.BITNET

These being the days of the Dog Star, we must expect a certain amount of
satire and harmless fooling-around. So at least I choose to view Dan
Evens' proposition that bringing computers to the campus has resulted in
lower costs which are then reflected in lower tuition.

Of course, if he's serious, we'll have to say something about it come
September.

* *
* Ven der aybershter vil shtrofn Norman Miller *
* an am-orets, leygt er im a NMILLER@TRINCC *
* loshn-koydesh vertl in moyl arayn. Trinity College *
* Yiddish proverb Hartford, Ct. 06106 *
* *