3.321 MIPSy multitasking workstations, cont. (140)

Thu, 3 Aug 89 18:54:08 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 321. Thursday, 3 Aug 1989.

(1) Date: Thu, 3 Aug 89 13:00:38 EDT (34 lines)
From: "Eric Johnson DSU, Madison, SD 57042" <ERIC@SDNET.bitnet>
Subject: Multitasking

(2) Date: Thu, 3 Aug 89 13:48:59 EDT (56 lines)
From: Charles Ess <DRU001D@SMSVMA.bitnet>
Subject: Re: 3.317 MIPSy workstations; multitasking (153)

(3) Date: Thu, 3 Aug 89 15:46:13 EDT (25 lines)
From: Geoff Rockwell <rockwell@utorgpu>

Date: Thu, 3 Aug 89 13:00:38 EDT
From: "Eric Johnson DSU, Madison, SD 57042" <ERIC@SDNET.bitnet>

My thanks to David Graham for making me think more about
multitasking in the ideal humanist computing lab.

It seems to me that before I used computers I worked with a
mass of materials at more or less the same time: I consulted
various books, articles, indexes, concordances; I took notes,
marked passages, and wrote drafts. I recall that I sat surrounded
by books and notes and moved from one to another quickly and
easily.

That seemed to change when I started to use computers. Although
most of the tasks I wanted to perform could be done (better) on
a computer, I had to do them sequentially. With a few exceptions
(such as printing one document while editing another), it was
most convenient to finish one task before starting another.

In recent years, it has been possible to use a microcomputer
to snap back and forth easily among more-or-less simultaneous
tasks and to run applications in the background while working
on other things. Thus, it is now possible for me to work in
about the same way on a computer as I did without it, and that
is what users of the ideal humanist computer lab should be able
to do.

True multitasking with concurrent processing and preemptive
power should be available so that text searching, indexing, sorting,
and similar tasks can be performed in the background while another
program is used. The ideal computer lab should offer a wide range of
programs that can be run simultaneously.