3.322 science, language, culture (223)

Thu, 3 Aug 89 18:55:32 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 322. Thursday, 3 Aug 1989.

(1) Date: 3 August 1989 (31 lines)
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: science and metaphor

(2) Date: Thu, 3 Aug 89 12:36:00 EDT (108 lines)
From: Itamar Even-Zohar <B10@TAUNIVM.bitnet>
Subject: Misunderstandings about what I wrote about

(3) Date: Thu, 3 Aug 89 14:54 EDT (58 lines)
From: <S_RICHMOND@UTOROISE>
Subject: culture and science?

Date: 3 August 1989
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>

The following contributions have the potential for generating a very
interesting or a very vexing discussion. For us the guiding star must be
relevance to humanities computing. In this light I think the central
issue is the one originally touched on by Itamar Even-Zohar and
explained by him again below: the `marketing' of science by misleading
ideas. This is very relevant to us, who are currently engaged in
discovering the nature and purpose of applying mechanical models and
computing methods to humanistic thought. We have discussed before the
idea that applying a computer to the uncertain humanities holds both
promise and danger. If we market our methods to ourselves and to others
with the false vocabulary of "proof" then we are in trouble, the more so
the more we are believed. We are fighting for dollars with other people
who use this vocabulary, so the temptation is great.

Quite apart from the immediate political problems are the intellectual
ones, on which I hope we can concentrate. What is the value of computing
to the humanities if "proof" is not an issue? What do we mean by "proof"
anyhow that we should want to use the word? What's the eros of proof?

In any case, let's keep our eyes fixed on our navigational chart and
avoid the call of those lovely ladies singing so sweetly off the
starboard bow. Otherwise, I'll have to tie you to the mast, plug my ears
with wax, and take control of the ship. I'm no Great Helmsman.

Willard McCarty