3.363 NSFNet; more on IT (68)

Wed, 16 Aug 89 19:38:47 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 363. Wednesday, 16 Aug 1989.

(1) Date: Fri, 11 Aug 89 08:46:35 PLT (25 lines)
From: "Guy L. Pace" <PACE@WSUVM1>
Subject: NSFNET

(2) Date: 16-AUG-1989 17:36:04 (22 lines)
From: COM3RAE@CLUSTR.TRENT.AC.UK
Subject: IT confusion.

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 89 08:46:35 PLT
From: "Guy L. Pace" <PACE@WSUVM1>

[The following about NSFNet is for the Humanist interested in connecting
to US Libraries. For more information, contact the Guy Pace at the above
address. --W.M.]

The National Science Foundation (NSF) network is available to those doing
research in the sciences (and others interested in what's going on).
Craig Partridge is managing the distribution of the INTERNET Resource
Guide through NSFNET. As far as I can tell, there are no special requirements
for joining NSFNET (obvious, since I'm on the list).

Most of what is going on in the US in the sciences can be found on NSFNET.
Since I'm only on the list for getting the resource guide (which I'm
collecting for our Information Center), I don't have detailed information
on all the discussion groups active on that network. However, some on our
campus joined NSFNET just for the discussion and information on "cold
fusion" when that topic was hot.

The resource guide provides information on supercomputers available through
INTERNET, as well as major libraries accessible through INTERNET. So far,
that's as much as we have. There are more sections coming, though, and I
expect it will be valuable.