3.428 name and institution, please (30)

Mon, 4 Sep 89 22:54:47 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 428. Monday, 4 Sep 1989.

Date: Fri, 01 Sep 89 19:54:25 EDT
From: Brian Whittaker <BRIANW@YORKVM2>
Subject: Re: 3.412 name please

Perhaps it would be worth adding to Willard's request that people identify
themselves by name on messages a further request that people identify
their institutions or, if there is anyone on the list without an institutional
affiliation, their city and country. One of the values of this list is
that it puts one in immediate contact with a far-flung group rather than the
usual cluster of people one meets in the common room or at regional
conferences. I am particularly interested in knowing when I am reading a
message from a place where people might be working from a background in a
different curriculum or a different set of cultural assumptions, or simply a
different set of available resources. E-mail addresses are often too cryptic
to give a clear sense of provenance.

(It is easy to forget, however...)

Brian Whittaker
Atkinson College, York University