3.430 dictionary software (76)

Tue, 5 Sep 89 20:27:18 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 430. Tuesday, 5 Sep 1989.

(1) Date: Tue, 5 Sep 89 06:45:32 EDT (32 lines)
From: Andrew Hawke <ACH@ABERYSTWYTH.AC.UK>
Subject: Software for dictionary-editing

(2) Date: Tue, 05 Sep 89 16:34:00 EDT (24 lines)
From: Niko Besnier <UTTANU@YALEVM>
Subject: Dictionary software

Date: Tue, 5 Sep 89 06:45:32 EDT
From: Andrew Hawke <ACH@ABERYSTWYTH.AC.UK>

>From: Pieter Masereeuw <PIETER%UVAALF@HLERUL5.BITNET>
>Subject: Wanted: Software for dictionary-editing
>
>Is there anyone who knows of software for the production of dictionaries?

The only commercially available system I am aware of which meets at
least some of the criteria you mention is the Compulexis Dictionary
System. I read a review of it several years ago in _Apricot User_ or
_16 bit computing_, but it is summarized in _Humanities Computing
Yearbook_ 1988, page 162. It is available for the production of
bilingual dictionaries, although the article I read described its use
by Oxford University Press for the editing of the Concise Oxford
English Dictionary. I understand that it is quite expensive (approx.
20,000 pounds), but that may be for a specially adapted version. It is
available on a number of machines, including AT-compatibles. Address:
Compulexis Ltd., 'Moors Edge', Charlton-on-Otmoor, Oxford, England;
phone: (086) 733 300/500. OUP can be contacted at Dictionary
Department, Oxford University Press, Walton Street, Oxford, OX2 6DP,
England.

I would be very interested in any information you may obtain about this
or similar products.

Andrew Hawke
University of Wales Dictionary of the Welsh Language,
National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth, Wales.