3.450 old spelling; Fraktur (61)

Fri, 8 Sep 89 23:19:06 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 450. Friday, 8 Sep 1989.

(1) Date: 8 September 1989, 09:26:09 EDT (19 lines)
From: FLANNAGA at OUACCVMB
Subject: a last (?) note on old-spelling (and no mo' hearts)

(2) Date: Fri, 08 Sep 89 10:40:32 CDT (22 lines)
From: "Michael S. Hart" <HART@UIUCVME>
Subject: Re: 3.444 old spelling: Fraktur, cont. (116)

Date: 8 September 1989, 09:26:09 EDT
From: FLANNAGA at OUACCVMB

Wouldn't it just be common sense to *tell* the reader of an old-spelling
edition in whatever language how to navigate around the five or six
difficulties a first-time modern reader would have? To confess: I was
twenty-six before I discovered the difference between "foreword" and
"foreward." My daughter, a very bright and articulate thirteen, wrote
us this summer that there was "bumber to bumber" traffic from Gatwick to
Lincoln. If someone had not pointed out the obvious to either of us, we
might still be in the dark about spelling or usage. So anyone out there
who is editing some text that is over 100 years old probably should tell
his or her readers that it was customary to capitalize all important
nouns but not verbs, or to put commas before dashes, or to use
semi-colons and colons for roughly the same purposes. Doesn't that
solve the problem? Thanks to all who have helped clarify our (not just
my) thinking. Roy Flannagan (Professor of English, Ohio University,
Athens, Ohio 45701)