3.471 Computing & dearth of PhDs.... (24)

Thu, 14 Sep 89 21:37:04 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 471. Thursday, 14 Sep 1989.

Date: Thu, 14 Sep 89 00:19:00 EDT
From: <HALPORNJ@IUBACS>
Subject: SHORTFALL OF HUMANISTS

Willard has been very good about letting us all know about
articles in TLS. I'd like to mention a piece on the front page of the
Wednesday (9-13-89) NY Times about the coming faculty shortage in
universities and colleges, and the small number of PhDs being prepared.
The surprising discovery is that the shortage is not in sciences but
in humanities, and the reason is the expected growth of enrollments.
Can use of computing do you think be of any use is speeding students
through the PhD (the time it now takes to get a degree is surely
excessive)? Or what means can we use to meet the problems that we
shortly be upon us?
Jim Halporn -- Classical Studies/Comparative Literature, Indiana U.
HALPORNJ@IUBACS