3.488 PhDs, computers, humanists (56)

Sun, 24 Sep 89 15:22:02 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 488. Sunday, 24 Sep 1989.

(1) Date: Thu, 21 Sep 89 22:09:59 IST (15 lines)
From: Ronen Shapira <RONEN1@TAUNIVM>
Subject: ph.d. and computers

(2) Date: Fri, 22 Sep 89 08:31:03 CDT (21 lines)
From: "Kevin L. Cope" <ENCOPE@LSUVM>
Subject: Predictions Concerning the Shortage of Huamnists

Date: Thu, 21 Sep 89 22:09:59 IST
From: Ronen Shapira <RONEN1@TAUNIVM>

i must say that i am puzzled by the postings that rcommended against the
use of commputers in ph.d, maybe because i am thinking about such a thesis.
the qustion i have is weather this recommendation is for any use of computer or
just for getting to much involved with them? that is, what about using existing
databases, software and hardware without trying to develop knew ones?
it seems to me that the recommendation against the use of computers can apply
to any research done with them in humanities. one cam always say that mastering
the knew techniques consume precious time that could be used for more "fruitus"
activities.
ronen shapira
tel aviv