3.510 computing PhDs get jobs (57)

Thu, 28 Sep 89 19:14:31 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 510. Thursday, 28 Sep 1989.

(1) Date: Wed, 27 Sep 89 21:11:00 EDT (20 lines)
From: "Leslie Z. Morgan" <MORGAN@LOYVAX>
Subject: RE: 3.506 Ph.D.s (50)

(2) Date: Thu, 28 Sep 89 08:13:38 PLT (16 lines)
From: Paul Brians <HRC$04@WSUVM1>
Subject: Tenure for Computer Experts

Date: Wed, 27 Sep 89 21:11:00 EDT
From: "Leslie Z. Morgan" <MORGAN@LOYVAX>

I would like to answer the question about "are there jobs for people in
humanities (languages, in this specific case) and computing with a
resounding yes. Both I and a couple of colleagues here are working hard,
with the full support of the department, division and college to incorporate
computing into the undergraduate curriculum bit by bit. Admittedly, the
students already use the computer lab facilities for other courses; but
with new equipment, as well as a conventional language lab, and a two
year language requirement, we are getting plenty of business. I think
(from what I hear) that this is in general true of a number of colleges
(note, colleges, not universities) whose names I will not take in vain. Have
you been looking at the smaller colleges, if you are interested in continuing
with computing and language?

Leslie Morgan
Dept. of Foreign Langs.
Loyola College