3.532 Ph.D.s, etc., cont. (89)

Mon, 2 Oct 89 19:56:19 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 532. Monday, 2 Oct 1989.

(1) Date: Mon, 2 Oct 89 00:24:00 EDT (21 lines)
From: <HALPORNJ@IUBACS>
Subject: PH.D.s, etc.

(2) Date: Mon, 2 Oct 89 00:40:59 EDT (47 lines)
From: unhd!psc90!jdg@uunet.UU.NET (Dr. Joel Goldfield)
Subject: "Teaching, course loads, computers, 'freshly-minted' Ph.D.'s"

Date: Mon, 2 Oct 89 00:24:00 EDT
From: <HALPORNJ@IUBACS>

Poor Jim O'Donnell and me! Somehow I guess we haven't really learned how to
send messages on BITNET to satisfy the HUMANIST audience. We end up being
told we've said things we haven't said. But the deconstruction of messages is
the thing these days. If I gave the impression that I think all those who
like to teach are not scholar-researchers, I apologize. If I gave the
impression that I am bitching about a two-course load, I apologize for that
too. I thought I was commenting on Cheney (whose support from some of the
HUMANIST members makes me think of the old joke about various peoples: if you
have one of them for a friend, who needs enemies?). So let me leave it now by
suggesting perhaps a book, Wayne Booth's *Vocation of a Teacher* (I may, in
typical scholarly fashion, have gotten the title slightly wrong). In that book
Booth wrestles with a lot of the issues we have been discussing.
As for the techniks and non-techniks in HUMANIST, I think that both groups
can be satisfied without setting out special categories. Even technical mags
like PC Week and PC Magazine have gossip columns and commentators, and the
Newsletter of some of my scholarly societies do carry computer news.
Jim Halporn, Classics/CompLit Indiana U. (HALPORNJ@IUBACS).