3.535 on Humanist (37)

Tue, 3 Oct 89 17:10:46 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 535. Tuesday, 3 Oct 1989.

Date: Mon, 2 Oct 89 20:16 EDT
From: PROF NORM COOMBS <NRCGSH@RITVAX>
Subject: Value of Humanist 10 lines

I am one who wants to add his voice to support the excellent manner in
which Willard is operating humanist discussions. I belong to quite a few
discussion groups but none as valuable nor as interesting as Humanist. Most
are more specialized and serve significant purposes. However, Humanist not
only carries a wide variety of interesting discussion by fascinating people,
(wish I had the time and energy to communicate with and get to know many, many
more), but Humanist frequently drops undreamed-of gems of information both of a
general and of a professional nature into my mail box. I have learned
important and valuable tid bits. The titles are helpful and extremely time
saving. Norman Coombs

[Although I am pleased to read such praise as Professor Coombs bestows
above, it is not clear to me exactly what I have to do with Humanist
that makes it enjoyable and worthwhile. Furthermore, editing it is
enough of a reward that I really don't know what to do with other
rewards. Please keep them! I wonder why it is that people think Humanist
is so much work (does the screen sweat?), and why it seems that
Humanist's quality is my doing -- when so obviously the intelligence and
wit of the membership has the overwhelming role? Humanist's success is
evidence of something far more important than one person's editorial
skills: it attests, I think, to our own need for a community and our
capability of maintaining one, and it witnesses the growing maturity of
our common field -- even if it isn't a "discipline" like history or
classics. Comments? --W.M.]