3.568 Arabic word-processing (92)

Wed, 11 Oct 89 18:24:48 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 568. Wednesday, 11 Oct 1989.

(1) Date: Tue, 10 Oct 89 21:04:49 EDT (18 lines)
From: cbf@faulhaber.Berkeley.EDU (Charles Faulhaber)
Subject: Re: 3.560 queries (123)

(2) Date: Wed, 11 Oct 89 00:01:00 EDT (27 lines)
From: "Richard C. Taylor" <6297TAYLORR@MUCSD>
Subject: Multi-lingual wordprocessor

(3) Date: Wed, 11 Oct 89 05:37:25 EDT (22 lines)
From: David.A.Bantz@mac.dartmouth.edu

Date: Tue, 10 Oct 89 21:04:49 EDT
From: cbf@faulhaber.Berkeley.EDU (Charles Faulhaber)

Arabic text processor. Try Multilingual
Scholar

Gamma Productions, Inc.
710 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 609
Santa Monica, CA 90401
(213) 394-8622

Charles B. Faulhaber
Department of Spanish
UC Berkeley CA 94720
bitnet: ked@ucbgarne
internet: cbf@faulhaber.berkeley.edu
telephone: (415) 642-2107
(2) --------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 89 00:01:00 EDT
From: "Richard C. Taylor" <6297TAYLORR@MUCSD>

Michel Lenoble asked about Arabic wordprocessors with English and
/or French capability. Another person (sorry but I deleted that
message already) about Greek fonts. Well, I've worked a bit with
"Multi-Lingual Scholar" from Gamma Productions, Inc., 710 Wilshire
Blvd., Suite 609, Santa Monica, CA (ca.$300-$350) and it seems to
work pretty well. It does all European languages, Arabic, Greek,
Hebrew, Russian and intermixes them even on a single line. I use
it with some fairly unimpressive hardware: Zenith Z-158 PC/XT with
harddrive and an old reliable Epson FX-80 printer. Some utilities
for conversion to and from other wordprocessors are also provided.
Pages can be exported to other wordprocessors and ASCII texts (as well
as some others) can be imported. For anyone interested, I'd suggest
writing to Gamma for a demo disk. [Since its screen mode is CGA or
better, this program also works well with laptops such as Toshiba and
Sharp. I couldn't get Radio Shack or Zenith 183 laptops to load,
though I am not sure why. Requires 640K to run.]
Dick Taylor
Philosophy Dept.
Marquette University
"6297TAYL@MUCSD"