3.577 Soundex algorithms (53)

Thu, 12 Oct 89 19:55:45 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 577. Thursday, 12 Oct 1989.

(1) Date: Wed, 11 Oct 89 18:39:48 EDT (26 lines)
From: cbf@faulhaber.Berkeley.EDU (Charles Faulhaber)
Subject: Re: 3.570 Soundex algorithms? (29)

(2) Date: Thu, 12 Oct 89 12:15:00 EDT (7 lines)
From: J.Wood@vme.glasgow.ac.uk

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 89 18:39:48 EDT
From: cbf@faulhaber.Berkeley.EDU (Charles Faulhaber)

Let me add my voice to that, except that I'm looking for
one for Spanish in general and unnormalized Old Spanish
in particular. I.e., I want to be able to conduct search
operations of the following sort:

If I am looking for "vivir" `to live', I want to find it
regardless of its spelling: vivjr, viujr, vjvjr, ujujr,
bjvjr, bjuir .... All of these are not only possible but
common.

Among other approaches that could be explored are, essentially,
turning unnormalized text into phonemic spelling through a set
of global changes or using some sort of thesaurus approach.

Any advice would also be most appreciated.

Charles B. Faulhaber
Department of Spanish
UC Berkeley CA 94720
bitnet: ked@ucbgarne