3.580 supercomputing, etc., cont. (89)

Fri, 13 Oct 89 20:01:16 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 580. Friday, 13 Oct 1989.

(1) Date: 12 October 1989 19:07:58 CST (27 lines)
From: "Michael Sperberg-McQueen 312 996-2477 -2981" <U35395@UICVM>
Subject: since when are TRUE and FALSE numbers?

(2) Date: 12 October 1989 (28 lines)
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: progress/time = 1/difficulty

(3) Date: Fri, 13 Oct 89 12:52:00 EDT (9 lines)
From: "Vicky A. Walsh" <IMD7VAW@OAC.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: Re: 3.576 supercomputing the humanities, cont. (174)

Date: 12 October 1989 19:07:58 CST
From: "Michael Sperberg-McQueen 312 996-2477 -2981" <U35395@UICVM>

Shame on both Michael S. Hart and Bob Amsler, for succumbing to (and
much worse, propagating!) the myth that inside of computers are a lot of
tiny 0s and 1s. What is inside of computers and computer disk drives
and computer tapes is a bunch of electro-magnetic phenomena. Circuit
on, circuit off. Magnetic charge stable, magnetic flux. Magnetic pole
reverse, magnetic pole not-reversed. These, my friends, ain't numbers.
If they are anything at all, they are logical values. (The circuit's
on? TRUE! No, FALSE! ...)

It is as great a leap from electromagnetism to '0' and '1' as it is from
electromagnetism to 'A' 'B' and 'C'. If you don't think so, ask
yourself: is it a '1' on a magnetic tape when the magnetic pole is
reversed, or when it remains the same? Or, in the case of another
common tape format, is North a 1 and South a 0 or vice versa?

Yes, numeric work is more adequately catered to on our machines than is
textual work. That is not because computers are inherently numeric or
even because computer scientists are better at math. It's because
people with math problems have worked very hard to make computers solve
them, and they have developed tools for themselves. Humanists can do
the same.

Michael Sperberg-McQueen