3.582 CAI blues, cont. (103)

Fri, 13 Oct 89 20:06:37 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 582. Friday, 13 Oct 1989.

(1) Date: Thu, 12 Oct 89 21:56:11 EDT (21 lines)
From: LNGDANAP@UOGUELPH
Subject: CAI and PLATO

(2) Date: Fri, 13 Oct 89 10:20:15 EDT (20 lines)
From: RKennr@CONU1
Subject: cai defended

(3) Date: Fri, 13 Oct 89 19:56 N (37 lines)
From: <PU6MI6Q5@ICINECA2>
Subject: RE: 3.540 computer-assisted instruction (80)

Date: Thu, 12 Oct 89 21:56:11 EDT
From: LNGDANAP@UOGUELPH

My apologies to Norman Hinton concerning my oversimplified description
of PLATO. He is course correct that PLATO is not an authoring system,
as those are currently defined, but rather an *authoring language*
along the lines of PILOT, ie a programming language which is not
all purpose, but dedicated to a specific task, in this case pedagogy.
Although authoring languages are easier to learn than programming
languages, they still require a great deal of time and energy
investment. For teachers who cannot afford such an investment,
authoring systems (which range from the simplistic to the fairly
complex) can be much more easily used by the non-expert.

The point I wished to emphasize is that content is all. One can
produce simplistic CAI materials using the most sophisticated authoring
tools, and also some very sophisticated materials using the more
simplistic authoring systems...

Dana Paramskas, French Studies, University of Guelph, Ontario.