3.594 CAI blues, cont. (28)

Mon, 16 Oct 89 18:10:54 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 594. Monday, 16 Oct 1989.

Date: Sunday, 15 October 1989 7:17pm CST
From: SVAF524@UTXVM.BITNET
Subject: CAI Blues.............

I would like to answer Charles Faulhaber's question and make one
comment on the theme of CAI design.
There exist a number of studies which seem to suggest that computer-
based instruction is more effective and more time efficient, especially
in rote, drill-and-practice environments. But this comparison of medium
is of little importance, I think. Good instruction will win out over
bad, whether the material is ultimately delivered by person or by electronic
means.
A good 50% of the development time of the best CAI is the instructional
design phase, when the instruction itself is worked out in detail; ideally,
this occurs before the programmer ever begins his/her tasks.

Pete Smith, who works in the
Dept. of Slavic Languages
University of Texas, Austin