3.636 humanists and computers, cont. (79)

Wed, 25 Oct 89 17:33:41 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 636. Wednesday, 25 Oct 1989.

(1) Date: Tue, 24 Oct 89 20:33:00 EDT (16 lines)
From: "Leslie Z. Morgan" <MORGAN@LOYVAX>
Subject: RE: 3.631 humanistic education and computers, cont. (81)

(2) Date: Wed, 25 Oct 89 14:02 EDT (43 lines)
From: RAPOPORT@MCMASTER
Subject: Computers and Humanities

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 89 20:33:00 EDT
From: "Leslie Z. Morgan" <MORGAN@LOYVAX>

The discussion of computers, education, and liberal arts school (Reed and
its cohorts) has really hit home. We are discussing computerizing, and
among the basic tenets of the program is "access for every student to
computing" -- which is rapidly, in certain uses, sounding like REQUIRED
use of the computer by EVERY student, regardless of his/her field or
interests. I myself am worried by the "big brother" sound of the
project. Any other reactions? Is anyone at an institution where this
development (access ==> requirement) has occurred?
Leslie Morgan
Dept. of Foreign Langs.
Loyola College in Maryland
(MORGAN@LOYVAX)