3.640 editorial (44)

Wed, 25 Oct 89 17:39:07 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 640. Wednesday, 25 Oct 1989.

Date: 25 October 1989
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: some policy, and a request

Lest Humanist turn into another MLA job list, it has been suggested to
me that we not publish adverts for jobs that have nothing explicitly to
do with computing in the humanities. The MLA list (and I assume others
like it elsewhere) is, after all, widely available. Unlike non-computing
scholarly notes and queries, for which there is no convenient venue, job
adverts get circulated wherever there are people to fill them. So,
unless someone can argue cogently that such things should be published
here, I say that we desist.

Perhaps our refusal to publish an advert unless is has a component for
computing will serve as an encouragement to recalcitrant departments to
add such a component. You say I am a dreamer? This I cannot deny.

Let me also take this opportunity to request something of everyone. When
you enter a note intended for Humanist, please make certain that it is
properly formatted before you send it. Make your lines no longer than
about 65 characters, and be sure they have been word-wrapped. Believe
me, it is a considerable pain and drain on my time manually to split and
rejoin lines so that what we publish here does not look a mess. I
apologize for the occasional messy notes, but sometimes weakness of
flesh overcomes strength of spirit, and I just let something go as is.
Now if someone can suggest how reformatting can be done automatically,
then I would like to hear about the technique, because inevitably new
members will not have read this and will send badly formatted notes.
(Remember, I am a guest of VM/CMS and have no other recourse.)

Thanks very much.

Willard McCarty