3.647 adverts on Humanist (79)

Thu, 26 Oct 89 19:21:42 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 647. Thursday, 26 Oct 1989.

Date: 24 October 1989
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: job adverts

A few of you have written in about posting non-computing job adverts
here. Some of these responses to my note on the subject are included
below. Let me say that no one has more sympathy for those in search of
"real" jobs and for those needing to fill them with good people, such as
us Humanists. The fact remains, however, that Humanist is about
computing in the humanities. We have, as the mailing this evening well
illustrates, plenty to talk about, and too much for some. We simply
cannot afford to expand our already very wide scope.

How much there actually is to talk about within the domain we have set
for ourselves! It is limited only by the liveliness of our own minds.
When it is November in your soul, as it sometimes is in mine, and you
find yourself walking in every funeral procession that you meet, then
your mind may not be so lively. But we seem not in this respect all to
hold to the same seasons at the same time. Enough of us are always
celebrating an internal spring that the volume of mail stays at a very
high level. It increases with the number of members, and with that
increase comes greater need for us to concentrate. I am not entirely
happy about this fact of e-life, but there it is.

Willard McCarty

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 89 17:55:30 EDT
From: bobh@phoenix.uucp (Robert Hollander)

Second the motion about adverts--only those having to do with hums.
computing.
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 89 22:42:36 EDT
From: unhd!psc90!jdg@uunet.UU.NET (Dr. Joel Goldfield)

I somewhat agree with Willard's recent comments about what to do
with job ads. Positions which involve some computer component in
the humanities seem the most appropriate, but I wouldn't want to
exclude some colleague on the Humanist network from advertising
a position that might have an eventual impact on her/his own, for
example, advertising a history colleague's leave-of-absence position
that, if filled by the appropriate person, would add a colleague
perhaps knowledgeable in authorship studies. But this attribute
might not be, for legal reasons, in the job description. And
perhaps the presence of an energetic colleague would mean that
said computing Humanist humanist would have fewer overload respon-
sibilities, which would leave more time for appropriate humanities
computing.... When in doubt, perhaps we could institute a type
of mailing similar to technical vs. more humanistic divisions that
we discussed earlier. Thus we would have a job ad mailing fea-
turing positions with a tangible computing component and another
for humanities positions with only tangential computer
components.
Regards,
Joel D. Goldfield
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 89 08:29:44 CDT
From: "Kevin L. Cope" <ENCOPE@LSUVM>

Let's not ban yet another topic on HUMANIST. Job advertisements are useful.
There are many job opportunities which appear on HUMANIST which do not
appear in standard references like the MLA list or which could be filled
by readers who would not be looking in the appropriate professional
journal. A little while ago, one grammotist pointed out that very few
members of the HUMANIST audience would read the list were it really only
concerned with computing in the humanities. Moreover, it would seem
that HUMANIST would want to promote the employment of its members in
various aspects of academic labor, if opnly to infiltrate the profession!