3.673 DOS commands; Macs (69)

Tue, 31 Oct 89 18:03:30 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 673. Tuesday, 31 Oct 1989.

(1) Date: Tue, 31 Oct 89 10:16:35 CDT (30 lines)
From: "Norman D. Hinton" <SSUBIT12@UIUCVMD>
Subject: DOS commands

(2) Date: Tue, 31 Oct 89 14:50:00 EST (238 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@OAC.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: Re: 3.669 software issues (128)

Date: Tue, 31 Oct 89 10:16:35 CDT
From: "Norman D. Hinton" <SSUBIT12@UIUCVMD>

Adding to the general polemic about Mac/DOS is probably not useful:
I have begun to think of them as competitive religions, or more likely
minor cults. An adherent of one is unlikely to be easily converted to
the other. But I will say that I'd rather grapple with typing in words
and code than move a little arrow to a wastebasket when I want to
Erase something.

However: I get the impression that many HUMANISTs do not use file
manager software, which is surprising. Though I can write DOS commands
when I want to copy, erase, etc., I don't have to---I just go to my
file manager (using a batch file which took me about 30 seconds to
write, but you don't need a batch file to use it).

I highly recommend XTREE or its big brother, XTREE Professional, both of
which are available from Executive Systems, Inc. (Sorry, I don't have
an address. But the packages are widely advertised in computer magazines.)
With XTREE, you get an easily readable display of what files are where, and
moving, copying, eraing, changing file attributes (e.g. making "read-only"
files "readable" so you can erase them), etc. can be done in seconds. You
can do many other useful tasks, and help is available on-line. The
manuals are short and clear. I wouldn't think of doing without a file
manager any more than I would think of doing without something like the
Norton Utilities, or MACE or PC-Tools, to clean up my hard disk and retrieve
lost materials. Anyone who uses a comuter for any task whatsoever ought
to have both a manager and a set of "disk utilities".