3.713 bibliographies (81)

Tue, 7 Nov 89 19:56:30 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 713. Tuesday, 7 Nov 1989.

(1) Date: Mon, 6 Nov 89 17:52 EST (23 lines)
From: <BURT@BRANDEIS>
Subject: bibliography databases

(2) Date: Mon, 06 Nov 89 21:57:18 EST (38 lines)
From: Shu-Yan Mok <YFPL0004@YORKVM1>
Subject: Bibliography, WATFILE, and SCRIPT

Date: Mon, 6 Nov 89 17:52 EST
From: <BURT@BRANDEIS>

The person whose computer center advised using WSCRIPT gave him/her good
advice. Wscript and Scribe are often considered dinosaurs, but they
can make bibliographies in many formats at the drop of a hat, and they
use all-ascii files which can easily be imported into other formats and
set up with a few global replaces. I continue to use Scribe for that purpose,
because it least ties my hands about what I might want to do later with the
file. More modern programs may be sexier, but you may be stuck with them
later when they too go out of date.

About Pro-Tem's BIBLIOGRAPHY. I also like it, for the same reason that I
like Scribe--it pretty much sticks to ASCII, and it doesn't tie your hands
for later. It was designed for use with Wordstar, which also pretty much
sticks to ASCII. I think that to use it with WP5 you might have to
convert your files to all-ASCII. Wordperfect doesn't make this easy to do,
but you can do it by printing your file to disk using the "DOS Text Printer"
in the printer control menu. There are all sorts of cumbersome hitches
in this procedure, but I am only a rare Wordperfect user and haven't figured
out better ways of making pure ASCII text in WP.