3.715 genealogical software; warning: ? stolen data (70)

Tue, 7 Nov 89 20:09:34 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 715. Tuesday, 7 Nov 1989.

(1) Date: Monday, 6 November 1989 2039-EST (34 lines)
From: KRAFT@PENNDRLS
Subject: Genealogical Software

(2) Date: Tue, 7 Nov 89 13:28:59 +0200 (16 lines)
From: choueka@bimacs (Yaacov Choueka)
Subject: Bible concordancing

Date: Monday, 6 November 1989 2039-EST
From: KRAFT@PENNDRLS

The current issue of NEXUS, the Bimonthly Newsletter of the
New England Historic Genealogical Society (6.5 Oct 1989),
includes a useful review of the widely used Personal
Ancenstry File (PAF) 2.1 genealogy program from the Church
of the Latter Day Saints, by H. Clifford and Lynn S. Watts.
"The Wattses use PAF to manage their joint genealogical
database of over 8300 persons, 4200 marriages, 8500 different
names, and 1800 descriptive notes."

According to the reviewers, "Despite our firm approval of
PAF, we have encountered some limitations and frustrations
while handling actual genealogical situations. We share
these experiences, not to criticize the LDS software,
but to advocate continued improvement." "Our aim is
to stimulate discussion and to encourage development of
even better software than exists today."

I don't know if the details will interest any of the
HUMANIST genealogical buffs, but will pass them along if
you want them. Although I own PAF, I have never seriously
used it, having already developed my own "flat file with
searching software" approach. But I have considered trying
to reformat and port my materials to PAF, which seems to
be a doable option. There are features of PAF that appeal
to me (e.g. production of charts, storage of extended notes),
and features of my own approach that I don't want to lose
(e.g. convenience of searching, editing, full printing).
Perhaps the answer is import/export software.

Bob Kraft