3.754 lapis retitus? (28)

Wed, 15 Nov 89 21:15:06 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 754. Wednesday, 15 Nov 1989.

Date: Tue, 14 Nov 89 10:16:00 EST
From: "Richard C. Taylor" <6297TAYLORR@MUCSD>
Subject: Amber stone?

This is a note to the several medievalists I know on HUMANIST and
any other Latinists who might be able to offer a suggestion.
I've run across the term, LAPIS RETITUS, which in the context
seems to be an amber stone, since when motion is transferred to it
(apparently by rubbing) it does not itself move but it does cause
motion in straw (it attracts it). I assume this RETITUS is from
REDO and so means something such a stone which draws things back to
it. Still, I'd like to know whether anyone has run across this or
might have some suggestions as to where I might look for help.
Thanks much.

Dick Taylor
Philosophy Dept.
Marquette University